ideas for tank addition

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

supertank

ideas for tank addition

by supertank

hey guys i have had my tank up and running for a few weeks now. i have a few fish in there at the moment. its a 26gal tropical tank. i have

5 tiger barbs, young ones i think
6 blackwidows
3 cory catfish
2 mollys

these are all quiet small and none really stick out as the pride of the tank.lol. i have seen betta and chiclids which would be the king of the tank but i dont think you would mix betta and tiger barbs, witht the whole fin nipping rep they have. has anyone got any ideas for king of the tank, or queen of the tank.haha. odviously it would need to be able to get alone with the fish currently in the tank..
supertank

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i am going to tell you one thing, you tank if most likley not cycled yet......si i would hold off on adding any more fish. i personally think you have added to many to fast, and if you figure in the adult size of all of the fish that you have you are pretty much stocked to capacity, unless you are running 2 or three times the filtration needed

josmoloco

by josmoloco

The tank is fairly full but for a center pice fish you could add a firemoth or blood parrot and even remove some of the smaller fish. Over stocking is fun!

supertank

by supertank

well i have been going on the advise from my local fish tank guy who has checked my water a few time and said it ok to add fish. i could replace some of the blackwidows as i dont really like them, but then wat do i do with them i havnt said to the pet guy but im sure he wont want them back. the pump of my filter says 400l/h as mine is only a 120 l i assume i am ok but i have been looking into getting a second pump for my tank. wat brand or type of water testing kit do you guys use as yet i have not got any have been relying on the LFS to do that for me.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Make sure you have zero nitrites, zero ammonia, and some nitrates but not more than 20ppm. This is the configuration when the cycle is functioning properly.

I've never known what gph corresponds to in filtration. I look at what the filter says it's supposed to filter or I guestimate by how much media is in the filter.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Your water parameters aren't the only factor when deciding if your tank is full. You're not considering the comfort or safety of the fish.

Z

supertank

by supertank

dont worry the comfort and safety of the fish is also in my mind, i will not overstock my tank i think it is currently almost at its full compacity. all the fish i have are pritty small and there is alot of room for them to swim around the tank. i will update on the water tests once they arivve in a few days time.

supetank

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've been conversing with supertank for a while and I think he's taking it slower than most. I trust he has his fish's best intrests in mind.

supertank

by supertank

cheers peter, i agree i am new to this and may have made some begginers mistake but im trying my best and takin in all the advise to ensure my fish are happy anf healthy. some dudes on these form jus dont giv u a chance.lol

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Super -

How are your 3 Cory behaving? I had 6 in a 37 gallon, and they were great. Schooling around, very active, fun to watch. One died and the remaining 5 just hid most of the time. I heard that you needed at least 6 so I added 2 more, for a total of 7 now. They immediately (I mean *immediately*) came out and started schooling and being entertaining again. Now I have 8 of them in the 37 gallon and they are even more entertaining. I can see more "Cory" behavior when they are more comfortable in their numbers. Just a thought. If your 3 aren't really robust, maybe add a few more of them. It's more visually appealing, too.

Z

ideas for tank addition

11 posts • Page 1 of 2