my years project. need equipment advice

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

by singapore

im getting ready for a new tank. 120 gallons! but instead of buying equipment to just get by, i want some quality stuff. i want to know what people use for larger tanks.

im going to have an overflow box thing. and a 55gal sump in the stand underneath. what filter do you reccomend? what protein skimmer? calcium reactor? UV steralizer? am i missing anything? oo and another thing, is there any device (some sort of heater or chiller) that can keep the temp at exactly 79? like, when i gets hot, cools it down, and when its cold, heats it up. preferably something digital thats easy to use.

and how about wavemakers? i want some serious alternating current and im not sure how this works.

money isnt really an object, but for equipment in not looking to spend over $1300.

i bought a lighting fixture. 60", 760watts. its pretty badass i must say. 2 X 250watt metal hallides, 4 X 65watt actinic power compacts, and like 15 LED lights. only paid $369.99. this should be sufficient for SPS right?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

aquaC supposedly has the BEST skimmers. I dont know but they are the only ones that use the spray injection.....my lfs swears by them. calcium reactor......I want to just build a kalwasser top off unit for my tank. Make a stand to hold JUST the kalkwasser in a 5 gallon bucket and use a pump and an ATO to do my top offs alkalinity and calcium at the same time. :) Everyone I have seen use it........have PURE purple tanks from the coraline algae completly taking over.

gumbii

by gumbii

go to reef central and check out a DIY tunze wavemaker... you're still gonna spend some dough... but it's teh awesomes...

or i would get the koralia wave maker thing... the new one... i think it's the best bang for the buck...

and i agree with fish boy... i love my aquaC... too bad it's a HOB remora pro... i would want a sump one...

i just got an ETS... this one...
http://www.thehiddenreef.com/istar.asp? ... ETS3!THR01

it's freaken great though... and it works esacly the same...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i don't own one right now but i plan on useing an ASM G-2 skimmer on my 180 gl when the time comes, i don't care for the info i've read on UV's - -check out you tube, theres some really cool wave makers on there, i like the timer set ups that pulse the powerheads over the wabe boxes..............they slam some serious waer but in a 120 gallon tank you'd have water moving 3-4 inches across the top .....looks like a accident waiting to happen to me......lol, plus i don't like seeing the water line at all and that would drive me nuts

gumbii

by gumbii

the water line is the only reason i didn't do the tunzes box... i have a tunez somewhere... and i can make my own... but i think it's tacky and ugly...

koralia's are FTW!... i have them on a wave maker now, but it doesn't have that soft start shit... so they start making all kinds of noise like i'm trying to start a moped... fail...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah man the koralias are amazing.....but a wavemaker will tear them up. Been there, haha. They are still sweet though. Question is....are the koralia controlables worth the money?

singapore

by singapore

what about filters? are canister filters good?

gumbii

by gumbii

wet/dry > canisters...

srsly...

yeah i need to take my koralia's off the wave maker... i'll probably hustle the wave maker for 20 bucks or something... i paid 30...

8 posts