freshwater goby

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

acerkai640

freshwater goby

by acerkai640

im curious if anyone has had or currently have a knight goby because i have 2 and well one looks like it my be pregnant but i dont quiet even know how to tell if its male or female so if someone could help that would be great thanks
-acer-

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I love gobys. I used to catch them from my stream in upstate NY and they're really cool fish. I googled goby and I didn't find any info on breeding. I think they like a lot of current as they are stream fish, or at least most of them are. I'd say to do some research and report back. Good luck.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I just read that there are gobys in lakes too. It said the males die after spawning. Harsh! I guess if yours is pregnant it'll be cool to see the fry. Good luck.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Ok. The parents will make a nest and I think the male will guard the fry at first. I'd provide a place the goby's can make a neast and maybe some little twigs or something. This other article didn't say anything about the males dieing, but the males change color when breeding. www.aquaticcommunity.com seems to have good info on breeding.

gumbii

by gumbii

the only goby's i have experience in are lake tanganyika gobies...

i had a ton of these in a tank once...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categ ... ichlid.jpg

those are jeweled gobies... they were freaken expensive too...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thet're cute.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

thanks for your help yeah i couldnt really find anything else on them either but i guess ill wait and see. im not to sure if the one is pregnent or just fat, and well what do you mean by putting stuf to make a nest? like an upside down pot or what. but will they release them or will the adult die? thanks
-acer-

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know. Read up on what they build nests with and maybe yours, if you have a male and a female, will make a nest if they have the appropriate materials.

I just read that the males care for the young for a while, but as with many fish, you need to remove the parents or the fry from the parents as they will get bored and eat their young after a while.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

yeah thats what i fured but jus thought i would ask to see if anyone had any exp with them so thanks
-acer-

gumbii

by gumbii

well... i'm sure the gobies i had are way different than sleeper knight gobies...

i had to raise the water to 9.0+ and they had to be fed natural vegitables and raw spirulina... but they bred well in my tank... gorgeous cichlids... well... i don't remember if they are actually cichlid gobies... i think they are...

freshwater goby

14 posts • Page 1 of 2