Could I quarantine a new fish in my refugium?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

Stupid question. I bought a yellow watchman goby online, which I've never done before I wanted to quarantine him. Since I took down my quarantine tank and moved everything into my refugium. I'm pretty sure fish diseases are transmitted through water, but I wanted to double check before I put my 12 gallon back together. Do you guys think I need to quarantine the new fish and if so how long?

snowboss

by snowboss

its always a good idea {i never have and have been lucky} but now that the tank is established i will be QT ing all new commers - - 2 weeks if the fish is healthy and active - - - longer is not - - and no you don't want to use your fuge.......if you do you might as well toss him in the main display and hope for the best

snowboss

by snowboss

AND - the only stupid question is the one not asked .....never feel silly about asking a question - - - you never know how many others have the same question and havn't asked and you just answered it for them

ill be setting up a big tank here in a month or so and I'll be asking all kinds of "silly" questions

jweb1369

by jweb1369

When people say quarantine, they mean a seperate tank. I think that is what you are confused about. A quarantine tank is one that is seperate and houses no fish, only when you buy new ones will it be occupied. You might put shrimp or snails and crabs in there. Hope that helps.

4 posts