is my tank going to break

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jonopino

by jonopino

i have an 80 gal and i want to put tanganyikan cichlids in it. i gathered a bunch of large rocks from beaches and built them up to the top of one side. about 5 of the rocks are up against the glass. how safe is this. the glass is about half an inch and its fine now but i am really worried. any advise would be greatly appretiated. thanks

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

How much do all the rocks weigh? Your tank can hold quite a bit of weight... it can hold 160 pounds of rock with gravel, so really depends how much rock you are putting in.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i'm not a physics major, but I can say from expierience that anything against or even close to the glass makes for a real pain in the tail when cleaning . . and you will end up with dirty bloches where you can't get to the glass - -and that my friend will drive a man insane...LOL

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That totally makes sense.

jonopino

by jonopino

great. thanks for the input. my main concern is that several of the rocks are leaning up against the glass in the corners. i will try to upload a picture soon so you can get a better idea

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i would back them off.if you ever drop a rock on the one thatis leaning on the side pane say good bye to you tank!! not only that but if it shifts it will act like a glass cutter weaken the glass and leave nasty scratches . you will end up scrubbing the algea out of the scrathes with a toothbrush. its your call. als over time the silicone will shift and your braces will crack in my opinion i think it is a bad idea.another alternetive make sure you have a sturdy base drill and peg your rocks together you can realy do some neat things that way.. hope this helps

6 posts