computer question

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Snowboss4492

computer question

by Snowboss4492

- - i have a 17 inch widescreen laptop and the left hinge as you look at it has busted completely and the monitor is slowly degradeing - - -so i'm in the market for new one..........

I have always been a PC guy but i have always wanted a MAC..........so have been looking at used ibooks

i use the laptop predominantly for online and media {music, photos and graphic work} which i know Apple is king at

my concern is compatability with regular online use - -do any of you use macs??? and how do you like them?? can anyone explain leopord, panther, tiger OS systems

thanks for your help and opinions

Snowboss

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Well i don't know much about macs, but HP is probably the best multimedia PC there is. I have a 6353 or something. It's a dual core AMD Turion 64 TL-60 processor. It was $1000 when i bought it, they are now down to $800. I love it, it has a lot of capabilities, one cool thing is it comes with a remote for dvd's or music.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I love my dell...customized it when the 1521s were relatively new. cost me about 1700 w/ tax but its my baby and i take it pretty much everywhere i can. Its great cuz i got only what i wanted and no extras like a useless webcam (which are fun for about 30 seconds then it doesnt matter anymore) or software that i'll never use in a million years. Alot of people I know are switching over to the dark side...or light side...depending on how u look at it. Mac.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol bug,

everyone here knows that Bill Gates stole the windows consept from his best friend in collage right? and hid best friend started a company called APPLE - -so we have all been useing stolen and very unimproved OS systems for years ......just some info for ya's

Jweb - -i have a newer HP desktop dual core, twin 250 gig hd, 3 gig ram with a 2o moniter - -i love it but i can't stand VISTA - -i'm looking at a new 500 gig hd and we're gonna put XP on it - - -then she aught to fly like hell

i still want a Mac laptop though so anybody with one please step up.....

Boss

dizzcat

by dizzcat

My son just got a Mac laptop a couple months ago and he will never go back. He loves it! From what I can see as he works on it it does some pretty cool stuff. He works on a web site, downloads stuff, all the same stuff we do on a PC, but he says it is way more stable than a PC. Never crashes or locks up on him.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah thats what i hear - -they are rock solid stable.......and they share all their system resources so they don't get that bottle neck slow down like PC when the ram gets loaded or the hard drives needs to do 6 different things at once - - Apple just reroutes tasks to keep everything running at optimum speed - - i guess my main concern is will Mac require special things from my internet service provider etc etc ??

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Doubtful. You'd be pretty sure that apple has seen billions upon billions in revenue coming in over the past few years..ipods, macbooks, apple TV, etc. Guess what they spent some of that on...you guessed it! Compatibility! lol.. You still probably won't be able to run your favorite expansion of World of Warcraft, but it sounds like that's not what you're really looking for in the first place eh?
There are probably 'tours' and such on apples website you can use to get a feel of apple's OSs. They're not drastically different, imo.

Personally as a hardcore XP sp2 user for years who heard all the crap about vista when it came out, and swore I'd never get it... I'm actually somewhat satisfied with it now that MS has worked the bugs out (I never got the opportunity to experience any). The auto-system halt for example. Prevents a lot of bad crap from hitting my harddrive. I have no speed problems and in 4 months my PC hasn't crashed, or a program even locked. I should note I'm running 32 bit version though. 64 still has a ton of compatibility issues.

I'm running an Athlon 64 x2 5200+ 2.6 OC'd to 2.8, 500g, GeForce 8600 GT (on an SLI board), and 2 gigs DDR2 (soon to be 8) I built my own machine, and I guess that's why I've always favored the PC over the mac. IT's much easier to build your own PC. Laptops of any variety are another matter...but I know the base price of any mac laptop is now around $1200, whereas the base price of a PC (with my opinion more compatibility) is $500. granted you'll get more with base apple.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

thats why im looking at used machines , im seeing them between 400-700 in really good shape- - -some one told me a rule of thumb to compare mac to pc is cut all specs in half I.E. a 1 mgz processor with 1 gig of ram mac is equal in performance to a 2 mgz proc. with 2 gig of ram PC - - i don't know how true that is but the majority of macs are running far less ram and slower processors and beat the crap out of pc's

ill never go full mac - -i like the workhorse capabilities of a nice fat assed XP desktop

my HP with vista has a dual core1.6 mgz procesesor and 3 gigs of ram and a 5200 rpm HD and this POS{the one with the broken screen} averatec laptop with a 1.2 meg processor and 1.5 gigs of ram with a 4200 rpm hard drive running XP sp2 stomps a mud hole in the vista machine in all areas - - -thats why im going to XP on the vista machine, dual core with 4 gigs of ram will be nuts {i'll add another gig of ram, vista 32 bit won't see more than 3 so it's a waste right now without vista 64 bit}

but another reason i want the apple is i want a more compact machine, im looking at 12" screens and i love the instant on instant off option for when i'm out on the road with it - - i quit carrying my PC laptop because it takes to long to boot up just to enter an invoice or something

Boss

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I'll tell you one thing, if you are dependent on using certain programs you better be 100% positive that they are compatible. Many programs are not mac compatible which is kind of crazy, but nonetheless true. I used to sell computers for officemax. Vista does blow and we lost out on so many sales because people hate vista. Best Buy got smart when they kept a bunch of XP desktops and laptops in stock. Vista is pretty shitty slow, I took of all the visual graphics and it looks like normal windows on my comp. One thing I don't know much about is switching OS's on laptops. How do you get all the laptop versions of sound and wireless stuff etc... downloaded?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

um i think i heard of a place called torrents -- lol

computer question

11 posts • Page 1 of 2