Proper Aeration?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

Proper Aeration?

by spongebob4460

So I just installed two Aquaclear 20 Powerheads (127 gph each)... on both riser tubes of my 20 gal tank. I have the output flow on the lowest setting (as of now) and am wondering if i need to turn on the venturi feature (air bubbles) or if the current created from the powerheads is enough to aerate the water. I'd prefer to turn off the bubbles as its quieter, and from what i've read online current is a better aerater than bubbles. If i turn off the venturi then I can also kick up the output flow to create a stronger current . Do you think its ok to turn the bubbles off?

Also, i do have a hob bio wheel giving me some slight movement on the surface, but no bubbles.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've read similar material which says that most of the O2 that gets into the water comes from surface agitation. I agree that there is noise with the venturi. I've got little devices that look like a little filter in a cylindrical tube that cuts the noise down a lot. Sometimes if I set the venturi on very very low it is almost impossible to hear. I had I think 4 large power heads for two tanks and then someone sold me a whole truck load of aquarium supplies for $240.00! Included were 6 more power heads! Now I have 10! I think they're cool.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Well for the time being I have one powerhead on so that i don't get too much current blowing my bubbles all over the tank. If I could eliminate the bubbles all together that would be the best solution, they are tiny and take up the entire tank area now, and make the whole tank look cloudy. It doesn't help that the powerheads have now cloudied up my tank from the UG filter, but a few water changes should eliminate the issue (hopefully).

Did you create this little filter for the tube or purchase it?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Your tank shouldn't look cloudy. I'd guess it's because you just started it up. I like some little tiny bubbles in my tanks. I never thought it detracted from the looks. About that filter thing: it was on a couple of the power heads I've had for a while. Have you tried the cob-job approach? What I mean is, I'll wrap a tight wrapping of toilet paper around the end of the tube, and then wrap tape around that. You just need something to dampen the sound that comes out of the end of the tube. I'm sure you can buy the thing I use on some of my PH's, but you can probably make something that works just as well. As for the sound inside the tank, I guess you can just have a tiny bit of bubbles, or no bubbles at all. Some people like the looks of a bubble wall, so in that case you need an air pump, but I was thinking in terms of aeration, in which the power-head venturi is probably much better. I just noticed the angelfish in your tank. They won't like to swim too much against the current with their big fins. Does your power-head have a way to deflect/direct the current? I aim mine up as much as possible. If you put in say one bigger plant in the back it'll slow the current quite a bit too. I need to post some pics of my tanks. I'm just an old school pre computer age dude, so I'm afraid to use my cell phone to do so. If you see how much wood and plants I have you would understand how the current gets dampened down. I grew really nice plants with a simple flourescent shop light with plant bulbs. Anyway, good luck. The powerhead will greatly improve the cycling in your tank. Peter

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Yes i have deflected the current downwards, as this is the only option from the deflector... once my tank is cleaned from all the waste that was under the gravel filter, I will turn the second powerhead on and lower the current on them both.... at that point i think i will only leave the bubbles on when my water level is high... once it dips, i can just let my hob filter do the aeration.

You said you had a way of deflecting the current if the deflector isnt adequate... any suggestions on how to point it upwards (other than attaching that elbow from the UG riser tube).

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I guess you bought the kind that only deflects down. I don't think you can even take that deflector part off. I have one like yours and either you'll just have to deal with it or have some more things in your tank to block current. Either that or you could go with a different type of power-head. The elbow thing is my only idea on that.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Mine is removable, I removed it and put it back on upside down with the help of a black rubberband... works like a charm! Now I have one powerhead deflecting downward and the other deflecting upward, so that my angels have an area to escape the current... plus I get great movement throughout the tank.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Good deal. Sounds like you can improvise pretty well. I have a cool little 1/2 gallon tank that I run a air tube (with water) from the outlet tube of my canister filter for my 20 gallon. The air tube is the perfect size to run water into this little tank. Then the water over flows into my 20 gallon from the 1/2 gallon by means of another tube and the water level always remains equal in both tanks. I have a whole bunch of baby mosquito fish in there.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i'd really love to see pics of your tanks and your setups if u get around to it :) cool stuff

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

My girlfriend just got a digital camera so I'll take some soon. I need to scrub down my big tank in the next few days to get rid of a brush algae that's really hard to remove, so I;m waiting till then so my big tank looks better.

Proper Aeration?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2