How do I get rid of my green hair algae?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I've got a ton of green hair algae that grew, when I had that nitrate problem a few months ago. It hasn't really been growing much since my water stablized, but my hermits and snails have barely put a dent in it. Here are my water numbers.

SG: 1.024
Phos: 0
Ammon:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Calcium: 425
Alk: 7
Temp: 76-79 degrees

I believe my waters fine and I haven't seen much growth, but I can't get rid of the stuff that bloomed when my water was crap. I did a water change a few days ago and pulled a bunch off and used a powerhead to blow some of it off, but there's still a ton left. What do you guys think I should do?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

how big is the tank? have you entertained an algae blenny? keep in mind that when he gets done chowing on the algae he will need to be suplimented veggie type foods, sseaweed salad, spirrulia etc or he will starve to death - - -but they do like the hair algae and will almost gorge themselves to the point of explosion, lol

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

The tank is 100 gallons with about a 25 gallon sump. I have a bi-colored blenny in there right now, but I think it's too much for him to handle. Could I put a algae blenny in there or will they fight?

snowboss

by snowboss

they might fight, but blennies are teritorial, so in 100 gallon tank theres a good chance they will just stay out of each others way

4 posts