bad idea

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kei9th

bad idea

by kei9th

today i bought a sand sifting starfish (before proper research) now i read they are not good for part of a cleaning crew. should i take him back or?

gumbii

by gumbii

i would take him back... they end up starving to death... get some nassarius snails...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah nas and if you have a TON of algae a turbo or two. I had 5 but two starved and became hermit food......but my tank is spotless!

kei9th

by kei9th

thanks ill try to take them back

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Nasarious snails are cool as hell............i have about 20 in my 20 long, you almost never see em and when you drop food in the tank they "levitate" up out of the sand and go to work .............also i picked up 6-7 algae hermit crabs, they are really small { 1/2 - 3/4 Iinch} they crawl all over the rock, cleaning it as they go - - both self sufficient creatures and really cool to just sit and watch........... after about 2 months i noticed that the snails were getting kinda thin in population and figured they were dieing off..........then out of no where i notice new snails moveing around in there, they bred and now i have a new generation of snad cleaners

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Now thats cool. My lfs told me i could put as many in there as I wanted...........they would breed/die or what ever is needed acording to the tank. i didnt know the nas went in the sand........i thought they all died off. haha nice. probably why i havent seen them. Boss is an encyclopedia of info!

snowboss

by snowboss

well thank you but i wouldn't go that far......lol there are a lot more expierienced people on here than me................i can only comment on things i've already done, success and failure .................

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I agree with that one. Remember that overdose of iodine I did..........holy cow I was freaking out. Only thing it did was made some green slime algae in my overflow...............okay maybe a LOT of it. Nothing I couldnt just scoop out with my hand though. trial and error is the best thing. No matter how many times your mom tells you not to touch the stove..........you will until its hot. Then you learn your lesson. Some times figuring it out for yourself is the (worst) and best thing that can happen. But asking is always a great thing too.

bad idea

8 posts