filter rating litre/hour

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dj_square

filter rating litre/hour

by dj_square

what power filter rating should i use for my 15 gallon tank my tank is over crowded with 2goldfish, 2shubunkin, 2clown loach, 2angel, 2blackghost, 1sucker and i have a UG filter and a sponge filter but still i need another filter to make a DIY project which will help in sucking debris from under the UG plate so what rating power filter or power head i must use.....thanks in advance

jdejay021851

Re: filter rating litre/hour

by jdejay021851

First off if it were me i would put the ugf in the trash and get either a penguin 150 or 200. And i dont know that i would want the fish you have in such a small tank clown loaches can get up to 11 inches long and i assume you have black ghost knife fish that can reach 20 inches i would upgrade to at least a 55 gallon if i were you.

dj_square

by dj_square

@ jdejay02

hey thats true but still i'll try to give back some fishes and how many fishes i can keep in this tank and the fishes grow according to tank size is it true?? what rating power filter i must use which will not create much turbulance

natureboy222

filter for 15g

by natureboy222

I would recommend a fluval 304 or404.You can get alot of filter media in it like carbon and bio material in it,plus they come with media when you buy it.They force all the water through it not around it like a traditional power filter.Plus you can adjust the flow of water to your liking,but you still get all the perks of a large capacity filter.I set up a fluval 304 on my girlfriends 5g and adjusted the flow on it.The tank is loaded with fish and plants.6 cherry barbs,betta.5 guppies,2 japanese trapdoor snails and I just took out 5 baby bullhead catfish! I have had the tank set up for months without even having to clean the tank or the filter due to the amount of biological filtration occuring in the tank it also is running with out carbon.I will worn you that alot depends on the amount of food you feed your fish,it can be tempting to keep them fat and happy but it is usually at the fishes expensce.I have alot of experience from keeping a propagating various types of small polyp stony coral for the last 17 years.I apply the same fundamentals to fresh water with great results.Start with the amount of fish keep only the ones you truly like,all of them will suffer do to overcrowding and they will have a minumal life span.Would you want to live in a one bedroom appartment with 12 other roomates? treat your fish in the same respects.Feed your fish sparingly one time a day to start,see if there is any change in the water quality.Do water changes as much as possible start with 10%every day and see if ther is a change for the better and adjust it according.And last get a good filter the fluval 304 is rated for 70g and like I said earlier I have one on a 5g.I have a 2foot lungfish and it craps like medium size dog.Ihave it in a 125g with four overflows that run into a 30g sump with tons of filter meia and a 1,000gph pump for the return water.It is very complex and efficent but I still have to be carefull with feeding, water changes, and the same basic understanding that there is no magical filter that will take care of the tank without alot of work on your part. I hope I was some sort of help.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Why not just get a 60 gal tank or larger? I like to overdo the filtration by 4-8 times the filters capacities, I like powerheads with undergravel filters (you can use a deflector, or stick the elbow that goes on top of the UGF riser tube on the outflow of the powerhead, which will deflect and reduce and deflect the current upward if that is a problem), and I love the Fluval type canister filters because they are out of the way( as opposed to hanging off the back type, necessitating a 4 plus inch space between tank and wall). I think you can have a slightly overcrowded tank if you have plenty of plants/hiding places, a current from a powerhead outflow w air entrained venturi system, compatable fish, and you watch the biological cycle and keep it healthy. Peter

filter rating litre/hour

5 posts