Smell of Plastic Plants... how 2 remove odor?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

GreenMandarin6731

by GreenMandarin6731

I got a whole bunch of plastic plants from big al's dot com at a good sale price to fill some room in the newly set-up 37 gal. freshwater tropical fish i will get soom after .. i know the tank is done cycling and am ready for fish, i know my water parameters are correct and using Kent's Black Water Expert" for an amazonian feel for these fish.
My problem is that the water has a heavy plastic smell and don't know what to do to remove it... i do not have any odor removing products. I think water changes may take a real long time in order to be effective... could there be any natural products i could find around the house? or something from a grocery store? im anxious to get my fish and i do have plenty patience...thanks!
Carbon might work at large amounts?

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Ewww....plastic smelling water doesnt seem safe for fish...there might be something leeching out of the plants? Iv never had that happen with my plants. Did you soak them in warm salty water first and rinse them off?

Dont be too anxious to get those fish...take ur time and dont load it all up at once.

Good luck.

GreenMandarin6731

by GreenMandarin6731

Thanks for the salt and water advice i'll definetely use that for future reference, i think the smell is just from the fact that not only is it new out of the box, but it's that there is alot! of it, i must have 10 good size assorted plants with 3 resin ornaments, but the smell mainly comes from those plants, i think specifically from this real lush and thick 15" plastic plant they had on sale that looked good to me and caused this heavy plastic smell, i heard it might not be that harmfull or have any negative effects for the fish which i will take my time getting until that smell definetely at least reduces alot.
thanks for your help! i personally taught about mixxing some water and little bit of dirt to neutralize the smell lol! but i think i'll just wait and add alot more carbon instead since everything is already arranged.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've used charcoal successfully to remove odors. A small media bag with about 2 tablespoons full placed in the filter worked for me. I have a 37 gallon as well, but mine has two filters and I put 1 charcoal bag in each filter. It has gotten rid of "fishy" smells and helped removed driftwood tannins, pronto.

Zambize

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Oooo charcoal is good too! And if you're doing any salt washing I'll tell you that I'v only used the non-iodized kind thats meant for adding to a fresh water tank...it says on the side of the box what ratio of salt to warm water to use. I just mixed it in a big plastic pail and let my new plastic plants swirl around for a few minutes then rinsed them out with dechlorinated water to get any salty bits off...I think the warm water helps draw out the chemical-ish smell or something...similar to how warm water draws tanins out of wood.

5 posts