NEW TANK OWNER, NEED ADVICE

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

supertank

by supertank

HI, GUYS
PURCHASED MY FIRST TROPICAL FISH TANK TODAY, IT IS A JUWEL 120L I THINK. AS ADVISED BY THE SHOP OWNER I CLEANED MY GRAVEL AND PLACED THEM INTO THE TANK THEN ADDED WATER, ALSO ADDED STRESS COAT+ AND ALSO STRESS ZYME THESE WERE THE CHEMICAL ADDITIVES THE GUY GAVE ME. I HAVE HAD THE FILTER RUNNING FOR ABOUT 6 HOUR OR MORE AND THE WATER STILL SEEM A LITTLE MISTY/CLOUDY, THIS IS PROB BECAUSE I HAVE NOT CLEANED THE GRAVEL ENOUGH. WILL THIS CLEAR??? SO DAY 2 I WILL HAVE TO TURN MY HEATER ON AND GET THE WATER CONDITIONS READY TO ADD FISH. I AM EXCITED ABOUT MY NEW ADVENTURE.LOL. BUT WOULD LIK A FEW GUIDLINE IN ORDER TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A HEALTHY TANK.. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME.....

THANKS
SUPER TANK

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

ok.....the water will eventully clear everything just has to settle
Search this fourm or google on how to "cycle" a tank i suck at typing and am at work so i really dont want to explain it all now but i am sure it will be easy to find it

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

a1 is right. Cycle away and dont skip that part! Another piece of advice that seems easy to follow but isnt (believe me it was hard for me not to get carried away....) But dont buy all the fish at once....add them slowly...I did mine 2 at a time with weeks in between each pair...it gives the tank time to adjust.

If you're adding schooling fishes you may be able to put in a few more at a time to keep them happy...someone else should be able to discuss that a bit more once you specify what you want in there. :)

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Stress coat and zyme are great, i use them both. definately cycle your tank. Make sure you check the pH before adding fish. I did not know my tap pH and was wondering for a while why my snails were dying and it was because the pH was 6.0 or less. Never knew tap pH was that low.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Rinsing the gravel is important, but did you remember to rinse the inside of the tank, any decorations, and the filter (inside and out)? Those items carry dust and dirt as well. Also, read this article about fishless cycling http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/100.

A tank that is cycling is high in ammonia, which burns fish much like acid would burn us. Some fish make it, but are burned forever and they (and the ones who died) suffered in the ammonia-laden water. I know you're anxious to get fish. If you know someone with a cycled tank, you can use a handful of their substrate, a fake plant or two, and maybe a used filter pad to cycle your tank very quickly.

Zambize

supertank

by supertank

hey guys,
thanks for the advice i will def read up a bit more about the cycling process. and zambize you are right i forgot to clean the inside of the tank which could be my main prob. im still in bed so have not looked at my tank just yet so i dont no if the water has clear much over nit. as yet i have not added any deroration to my tank wud it be adviced to get the tank decorated to my taste before trying to get the water chemisty right for the fish. as for the ph level of the water, is there a kit you can buy??? my pet shop guy just told me to bring him a sample of my water in a week or so and he will check it and tell me wat im missing and stuff, also he will give me a few "hardy" fish, as he called them, to start my tank off. if i have not cleaned the glass and the filter before adding water will i have to drain the ENTIRE tank an start again that really sounds last a last resort..

cheers

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

You don't *have* to drain and clean, but there wer very likely cleaning agents and all kinds of crap in the empty tank and filter. Even in very tiny amounts, something like Endust can be toxic to fish.

By "hardy", the fish guy (I use the term fish guy loosely) means most likely to survive an acid bath, not fish that are appropriate for an acid bath.

Testing your water is extremely important, and I can't emphasize that enough in text. I would have to be holding you by the arms and shaking you violently to express how important water testing is. Of course the guy is willing to do it for free....it keeps you coming back and he can solve all your water quality problems with chemicals that he will sell you. *You* need to test your water, at least every other day in the beginning. If your ammonia, for example, is out of control (and it will be), waiting a week to find out will result in seriously dead fish.

Research, everything, then start over. :)

Zambize

7 posts