new fish are afraid? help please

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

rraymondddh

by rraymondddh

i recently set up a 55 gallon tank and added a few parrots in there alow with 3 irredescent sharks, a pelco, and a blue crayfish. when i turn on the lights, the parrot fishes hide behind decors and rocks. is there any way to solve this problem, for example leave the light on while feeding them so they know its not harmful?

gumbii

by gumbii

they do that... they're probably coloured parrots... those usually come all stressed out... give them some time...

littlej2455

by littlej2455

usually fish take about 4 hours to get use to the water, but it could take up to a week or two for them to feel comfortable in your tank.

gumbii

by gumbii

usually... it depends on the fish itself...

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Watch out for the crayfish. If there are fish small enough it will catch and eat them.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The crayfish is probably going to end up being a problem. If you have any live plants you won't soon, and I'd worry about the pleco and any other fish that hangs at the bottom. They may be able to get away but they will be harrased all the time. I've had a lot of crayfish and I'd think about that guy.

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

I really don't want to be the the person to tell you the bad news, but here it goes. You are over stocked. A pleco, depending what kind it is will get 12" , I have seen bigger. They produce ALOT of waste, the parrots get about 5-6", and the shark will get big. Maybe right now you will be ok because they are still small. But in the future you will be a waterchanging maching to keep Nitrates below 20ppm. I would really think about either getting a bigger tank in the NEAR future, or getting rid of the pleco. And to tell if you are over stocked, it isn't how big your fish with get, it is about the BIO LOAD they produce. Another question.. did you let your tank cycle??

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

About the shark....those get to be 4' long. That's 4 FEET, not inches. They are also not suited for their own company, or the company of other sharks, in freshwater tanks. They will also eat anything that will fit in their mouths. Iridescent sharks are also very nervous fish and tend to have jumpy, erratic movements. This can cause other fish in the tank to be nervous.

And in general, fish don't consider "light" to be safe. That's why they hide in plants and shadows when frightened.

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I didn't know those shark fish things got that big. I'm surprised.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Very few of the freshwater sharks remain small enough for any tank.

Z

12 posts • Page 1 of 2