Bio wheel splashing noise

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Anybody figured out any tricks to decreasing the splash noise of the filtered water as it waterfalls out of the filter into the tank? I know that keeping the tank filled to the level of output will keep it silent, but my water evaporates quickly and Im left with a splashing noise.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I know there are devices that you can buy that will maintain the water level in your tank. I don't know much about them in regards to things like adding water conditioner or how they hook into your water supply other than by using one of your faucets. It seems a bit overkill for a 20 gallon. You say you covered the tank and there was excess moisture? Why is this so much of a problem? The water will of course evaporate over time, but warmer water will evaporate more quickly. Maybe the Bio-wheel requires a small range in water level requiring you to fill your tank up more often than tanks with a regular system. I usually let the water go down 2-4 inches before topping it off, and that takes at least a few weeks to happen. I left you with more questions than answers!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Yes I definitely don't need an automatic leveler. The moisture was only a problem when i tried to cover the rest of the openings on top to slow down evaporation, but since have taken it off as it was spilling water everywhere. I guess my only option is to top off often, if i let it get to an inch or two below my filter output it creates a loud splashing noise. Thanks anyway

Sunflowergirl

by Sunflowergirl

Hi,
I have a biowheel filter for my 30 gallon tank and I was getting the same splashing noise. What helped me is the little knob on the side of the filter that directs the sprayers that spray the water onto the biowheel. It can be turned to spray at the biowheel higher or lower, I would experiment with that, if you haven't tried that already. Also, my biowheel filter can be turned up or down with a little lever toward the back of the filter on top, I'm not sure if they are all like that, but I think they are. You can try turing it down, or up, a notch. (It pulls up or presses down). As long as the biowheel is still rotating, the the water is being filtered, it might just be spraying too hard (or too soft) at the wheel. When mine is in the down position, I get squirty, sloshing sounds, but when it is pulled up all the way, it is pretty quiet. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Yeah I have a Biowheel 150, doesnt have any sprayers or such that u mention, just an intake tube, holding area, a media slot or two and the output area where the wheel spins. I'll just keep topping it off, thanks anyway

awkatik

by awkatik

IMHO The penguin 150 is the NOISIEST of all the penguin/emperor series filters. I personally like the 350 the best, even over the emperor 400 because the spray bars make the biowheel stick and degrade faster. the penguin 350 is also the quietest of all the power filters Marineland offers.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

noisiest in terms of the filter engine or in terms of the water cascading back to the tank? (when i have my water level right up to the output area, it barely makes noise, only when the water level dips does it make noise, but I have to leave this to create surface agitation, even with two powerhead venturis pointed at the surface)... i have learned to enjoy the waterfall noise now :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I enjoy the sound of running water too. All around my apartment and on the balcony there's running water.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

hello and that is the problem to the splashing noise. Try to keep the water as high as you can but you can put a plastic sheet on top of the tank to stop evaporation

9 posts