Shigara

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

makavelithedon963941

Shigara

by makavelithedon963941

i just cant seem to win as far as skimmers go, now the octopus fills the collection cup with water b4 it collects skimmate, the standpipe cant go any lower, i have no idea what the issue is, please help

gumbii

by gumbii

maybe you need to raise the level of the protein skimmer... i've seen people do this, and i've never understood it... they make it stand on a plastic table thing, and lower the pump in the sump... maybe it will help...

schigara

by schigara

You're sure the air inlet and port in the venturi are not clogged and the air tube is above water so it can suck in air?

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

havnt checked for clogging but its definitly above water, i still get lots of bubbles in the chamber, the cup just fills with water then eventually starts putting skimmate into the water in the cup

schigara

by schigara

Ok, skimmate is not the foam. Skimate is the liquid that collects in the cup due to the foam. The higher the water level inside the skimmer body, will give a wetter and lighter colored skimate. How long does it take for the cup to fill with liquid? It sounds like the skimmer is just running very wet. I went back and looked at the pics you emailed me.

Maybe the NW110 is more sensitive to to the water level it's sitting in than the NW200. Were you able to raise the skimmer body up so it's not sitting so deep in the sump?

The skim in the cup does have color like light tan-brown, right?

Also, using a filter sock, you're already pulling out the largest organics and you're skimmer is not going to have to, so the skimmate won't be the darkest.
Last edited by schigara on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

schigara

by schigara

When you clean the cup and first turn on the skimmer, how high does the foam go? On start up, the foam should be about 3-4 inches below the top of the skimmer neck. If the foam jumps right up to the top of the neck and starts spilling over, water level in skimmer is too high.

If your other skimmer was just collecting foam in the cup and never building up any liquid, it was running way too dry.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

yes, after i clean the cup, it fills within a minuit or so, the only way to fix this water level problem is to fix the sump? im thinking of tearing down the inside wall and having a new shorter piece cut and put in so the water level isnt so high

schigara

by schigara

Yeah, that's super way too fast! After seeing the pics and hearing what you describe, I'd say the skimmer body should sit in no more than 7in of water.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

im almost positive my original measurement was 9" for the inside wall, im about to have it cut to like 5 1/2 - 6, just to be safe. i had another question in another post, i dont know if you saw it or not but im removing the stock hood fom my 24g aquapod to put on the hqi sunpod, this will leave the back chambers wide open for some new filtration since the fission nano skimmer was a POS like everyone said, do you know anything about thoes skimmer/filters((skilter)

angus4481

by angus4481

i have a skilter on my 55, i think they work awsome. it is kind of an eye soar but it meets my approval. you should get the skimmer thats for the bio cube, i just bought one for my mothers tank, and i think its pretty good.... so far.

Shigara

11 posts • Page 1 of 2