sorry im new

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kei9th

sorry im new

by kei9th

during the initial setup do i have to change any of the water in the tank do i leave the water in then do a water change after the first cycle. also is it important to have live rock during the first cycle what about a protein skimmer.also when i turn on the powerhead it just turns up like dust and it doesnt seem like the water will ever get clear. is this normal? and lighting is there any way to be cheap with good results. ive seen fish under different lighting but i dont want to spend 200 dollars on lights

singapore

by singapore

how big is your tank. how long has it been cycling?

liverock is always good to have during the cycling process.

where in your tank is the powerhead located?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well the lighting is controversial (sp?) and im a nube too... completely but ask around about what people think about the lighting on ebay.... as for water changes..... talk to the other guys about that i dont know enough to give advise.... welcome to the hobby

schigara

by schigara

Not very important to have live rock during the cycle especially since you seem to be using 2 hob bio wheel filters and a sandbed. Since you plan on having live rock though, the bio wheel filters will not be needed for anything other than a bit of flow and to run filter media in such as carbon or phosban media.

That being said, if you want to add live rock later, it must be fully cured to prevent another full or mini cycle.

It takes a few days for the dust to clear after just adding water and sand.

Protein skimmers are not absolutely essential but do help quite a bit to remove organics from the water and keep nitrates lower.

A fish only or fish only with live rock tank requires only the light that you want to view the fish by. You could use normal output fluorescent tubes.

With just fish and no photosynthetic coral planned, you could use a Nova extreme T5HO 24" twin bulb fixture for about $60.

kei9th

by kei9th

thanks all my tank is a 29 gallon and i placed the power head at the top of the tank pointing down and at the bottom pointing up and it didnt seem to really matter once the water really got moving the dust appears i only have one hob filter it is a emperor 280 bio-wheel filter my tank has been cycling for 1 week as of now and what about the water changing now? thanks this seems to be a cool site with tons of info i think ill stay here you all seem friendly enough also do i need more filtration?

schigara

by schigara

The powerhead should not be pointing down. It should be pointed horizontally.

May I suggest a book? Any new or even advanced SW aquarist should have this book. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner" http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Mar ... 921&sr=8-1

Wether or not you need more filtration depends on if you mean biological or mechanical. If you plan to keep just one or 2 tiny Gobies, then the 2 biowheel filters would suffice. If you want to keep more small fish, 20-40lbs of live rock would be preferred. Bio wheel filters are perceived as nitrate factories but if they are properly cleaned at least weekly, they can provide decent bio filtration.

schigara

by schigara

What kind of fish do you think you can keep in this tank?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

schigara that book is amazing by the way.....I learned a TON from it. 40 bucks i paid....but well worth it in advice and set up tips. BY the way!!!! Make sure you dont put your rocks ON the sand burry them in the sand.......this will help the anerobic spots in your sand and will also provide a more sturdy rock structure. :)

kei9th

by kei9th

i just want to have some colorful fish idk what kind not to expensive but cool to look at. im just testing out to see if i can do this saltwater hobby. i really liked doing freshwater but it wasnt as pleasing to watch the fish. ill check out that book. upgrading from the bio-wheel would be what? i really dont want to look or listen to two going at the same time. im pretty handy at diy if i can

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Check out my set up....I have a 29 gallon just like yours...... And i made my filter. Its a sump and works like a charm. :)

sorry im new

14 posts • Page 1 of 2