Do any of you add baking soda to raise Ph of your water?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Ok so the baking soda neutralizes acid so it will raise ph of hte water it is disolved in. Of course I dont know by how much or whetehr it will do anything undesirable.

I am making some Brine Shrimp and the instructions recommend high Ph, so I wonder if I can throw some baking soda in there?

Your thoughts?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have had good luck with adding baking soda too, but only in extreme cases and with EXTREME caution. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of household baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for every ten gallons of tank water in a cup of water. For your new tank that means about 1.5 teaspoons. SLOWLY pour the baking soda and water solution into the tank (away from the fish). You might have to do it when you feed the fish and give them their food at the opposite end of the tank. Wait until 2 or more hours have passed and then test the pH. Hopefully it will have risen a bit. If so, wait until the next day and repeat once a day until the pH is where you want it. You don't want the pH to change more than .5 (half a point) in one day. If the pH has not risen after the addition of Baking Soda, repeat the same dosage again and wait a couple more hours and test. It may take two or three doses before you see a change.

I got the above from allexperts online, I hope this helps

gumbii

by gumbii

i add a huge table spoon for every 5 gallons of water in some tank... raises my PH to 9.1-9.3... but my tap water is allready at 8.2... everyone's water will be different...

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

So, can we add vinegar or lemon juice to lower the Ph? should be the same thing into the opposite direction?

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... i doubt it... i don't know what kind of salts lower PH... hmm... i never use chemicals to lower PH... in the planted tank the water would automaticly drop down a whole number...

5 posts