COPPER IN MAIN TANK HELP HELP HELP

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I STUPIDLY put a little amount of copper in my tank, and now my softies taking it hard. Please help me get rid of this copper trace. It was from a stop tap which i installed to my tank not thinking, and it was in the system for around a week. What will help get rid of this quick
Thanks

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

the answer your looking for isnt out there, im sorry. copper is deadly in a salt tank, it will kill all your live rock all corals, all inverts and some fish are sensitive to it as well, and it doesnt come out, im speaking from personal experience. it happened to me yrs ago when i 1st started salt, i tried everything, water changes, carbon, poly pads nothing works, you will have to start over again, and dont use the same liverock. i see u posted on aug 3rd, sorry for your loss - Makaveli

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Thanks for your response.
Thankfully i don't think it was copper. Maybe i just jumped to a conclusion to quickly..
I did have that silly block off valve in place but the inside was actually stainless steel but coated with an oxidization giving it a brown look. Any way its gone now. ANYWAY things had not improved much with the cuprisorb product that is ment to change to blue when a copper trace is found, which made me think deeper. My water conditions are generally great, i would almost say perfect, and because of this have held off doing any water changes out of experiment, i no stupid in itself but I took a water sample to the LFS and asked them to do a complete check of everything they could, even SG with their API test kits.
NITRATE on them is yellow 0-10ppm and i think Red 80-100ppm plus
MINE WAS REDDER THAN BLOOD. I was shocked and asked him to do the same test again.
SAME RESULTS. I took this exact water home, with a new kit SAME BRAND and tested it again at home. Old chems PERFECT READING new chems REAL BAD. It was the water parameters that where killing everything off, who noes what was next.
Now i no why there IS EXPIRY DATES ON THINGS.
every second day 20% water changes for a month and everything is coming back great. Now i make sure water changes happen at 10% every week without fail.

gumbii

by gumbii

damn... that sucks for you... but at least you found out what the problem is... wow... sucks...

thanks for keeping us updated...

4 posts