protein skimmer??

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

binkii

protein skimmer??

by binkii

i don't know what kind to get....please help..i have a 55g tank and plan on getting a lot of coral eventually XD

tangerine

by tangerine

gee,this is a toughie.
not sure what are the brands available at yr location but general rule of the thumb is to get the biggest your budget allows.
before that ,you will have to read around and decide what type of skimmer u prefer i.e,NW,Venturi or beckett type.things to consider wud be the power consumption,size,in sump,out sump. also, in view of most of us have a tendency to overstock,get a skimmer that is rated to skim more than 3 times your tank capacity. even higher if you are into sps.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

get the Instant Ocean SeaClone 100 or 150 they work perfectly for a tank your size and arent too pricey, its a hang on back or in sump skimmer what ever you prefer

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

i got a cpr bak-pack they are a little pricey new but you can get a used one for 85 buck with a new pump. for me this one works great i got one of those sea-clone ones and i didn't like it but that just my 2 cents and if you have a sump you can put it in the water or leave it hang on but if you end up putting it in the watter it ends up being really quite

binkii

by binkii

ok thanks

angus4481

by angus4481

an easy way to go is the skilter, its a filter and a skimmer. i bought one a month ago and im impressed. you can get the 280gph or the 400gph. i have the 280 n it works awsome on the 55. you can get it at petsolutions for 29.99

snowboss

by snowboss

what are peoples expierience with skilters? - -I have seen them and they cost considerably less than a dedicated skimmer - - do they work? I am debating on building a sump for my 20 gallon but it seems a little small for such a large filter system . . I'm running a whisper 20, wisper 15 HOT units and a canister attachment on one of the power heads now , but would like to get that crappy film off the top of the tank - - -does your skilter handle this stuff ...and where does the skimate end up? collected? or just runs though the media?

If they work "so-so" I might get one as a secondary filter and pull the smaller whisper out

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

send me a check, i have a skimmer!!

angus4481

by angus4481

i think its the best. like i said it filters a 55 good. it would work nice for you, since you probably dont have too much room for anouther gadget. id say, get rid of the wispers n replace with the skilter. i like it mostly because its very easy to clean and adjustable

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

idk about the skillter?? i have a prizem pro with a surface extractor, thats wher 80% of nutrients go.that thick oil layer on your tank will go away.and has carbonmedia inside of it. go big or go home!!!

protein skimmer??

20 posts • Page 1 of 2