blue hippo or flame angel??

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

binkii

by binkii

i was thinking about geting a new fish in a few weeks, but i can't decide. i really want a yellow belly bue hippo tang, but i've heard some good things about the angel....i have a 55g tank with a sailfin tang and a naso tang, both babies....the naso doesn't even have her color yet....i was just wondering what you think

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you are going to need a bigger tank.

binkii

by binkii

well...i am saving up for it, but i am only 14 and my parents don't really want me to get a bigger one yet....plus if you get fish small enough the tank will stunt their growth so they won't need a bigger one very soon

tangerine

by tangerine

[quote]plus if you get fish small enough the tank will stunt their growth so they won't need a bigger one very soon[/quote]

this in my opinion,is a fallacy. fishes may not get as big as the can in the wild but still they do grow to a somewhat near their maximum size.

anyway,my two cents,if you love yr fishes,would you want to stunt their growth?

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

do you keep corals? if you do be carefull about what kind of angel you buy as most are not reef safe

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

tangerine is correct - fish size is genetic, they will grow to the size they were designed to be at birth - if they do not, it is because their environment, i.e. food supply, water quality, mobility [hence the suggestion of a larger tank from saltwaterpimp] has restricted their developement - all in all equaling an unhappy, unhealthy, stressed fish. For this reason people need to be careful when they buy fish and be aware of their adult size, not their cute little baby size - - on in the case of some people have a good LFS that will take the adult fish back when they outgrow their environment. good luck, keep us posted

binkii

by binkii

ok, thanks!! but a 55g is the biggest that i am allowed to have in my room...but i am thinking that i want to give my naso tang back to the guy i bought him from....i love her alot, but it isn't fair to her...plus if i can't get the fish i really want, what's the point???

binkii

by binkii

oh, and i don't keep corals yet...i have to save up for my protein skimmer and i have another payment on my light

by the way, i asked my dad if i could give back the naso tang and he said that john(the guy i buy from)wouldn't do that and to trust him...plus he said that i can't get a bigger tank because we aren't made of money...but i think i am going to save up for it by myself

snowboss

by snowboss

Binkii,

SO - if 55 is all you can do right now than find 55 gallon compatable fish, right? LOL - I thought about this after I posted to you last night - there's a reason that they find 10 foot snakes and 6 foot alligators in the sewers down in the city ["i didn't think he'd get that big"} also would you invest the money into a baby elephant and then keep him in the closet? your on the right track bud..............
Just for info, I'm 39 yrs old and have been waiting for quit a few years to start, I have started with a 20 gallon long tank, so be thankful for a 55 -also go give your mom and dad a hug for investing in such a wonderful hobby and such a costly hobby - -i'm gonna say by the time you have gotten this tank where you want it you will have spent enough for that first car, LOL - it's a great past time - very rewarding. take your time do your research {as it sounds you are} and above all else HAVE FUN !!!!!!!

binkii

by binkii

yeah...i am 14...idk if i said that already?? anyways my dad said to listen to the guy that i buy my fish from since he has been doing this stuff for 30 years...he says that i should get the fish that i want...well to a certain extent and then in like a year i can upgrade....plus my dad said that in a year if i do good with this tank i can get a 180g!! i am so excited! i am probably going to just get my regal tang, and maybe a clown, then focus on corals..then in a year everything will be almost perfect!

10 posts