cycling

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

acerkai640

cycling

by acerkai640

what is the best way to cycle a new tank. i have a 30 gal curently and in the process of upgrading to a 115 gal. im planning on taking everything out the old tank and putting it in the new one but i dont want to lose my fish and or just have a tank empty except for fish. can you please help. thanks

gumbii

by gumbii

1. fill up new tank with water...
2. treat water...
3. put in decor filtration system...
4. put more treated water to the top...
5. make sure it's temperature is matching with old water... .
6. put in fish...
7. ???????...
8. PROFIT?...

lol... i guess seven would be check levels and monitor everything... i would vacuum the gravel very good before taking it out of the older tank, then put it in a bucket with the same water, and move it around a bit... get all of the nasty stuff out... or else you're new tank is going to be dirty and full of floating waste...

good luck... keep us posted...

acerkai640

by acerkai640

thanks
is there any cycling needed and if so how long? also should the old decorations be rinsed off very good or does it not matter? thanks again

delumpcious

by delumpcious

i cycle for 6 weeks with starter fish and i use the chemical called cycle http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... DWTBS.html

its worth the money and u can never but to much in

its good to use if ur like changing around the tank so the don't get so stressed

gumbii

by gumbii

i wouldn't rinse anything in water with chlorine... the decor also has benifitial bacteria living in they...

don't even change the filter pads in the filters... that also has bio bugs... do a water change like three days later though... then in a week, change or wash the pads out really good...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Fishless Cycleing is the only humane way to cycle a tank, sorry to disagree, but there are other ways to go about it, ghost feeding, drop a table shrimp in there for a few days - - -if your moveing exsisting live rock from another tank, don't do much more than rinse it off put it in the tank and fill it.......the die off you get will be more than enough to start an amonia and nitrate spike and start a very good very natural cycle which in turn becomes a very stable tank
..........................I don't support chems in any form unless it's an emergency that is going to kill livestock .............but if everything is stable, those types of things don't happen very often

Boss

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd say like what Gumbii said. Rinse out the gravel in old tank water and the same with the rest of the old equipment and there shouldn't be any interruption of the cycle. Just feed sparingly for a week and you should be OK.

gumbii

by gumbii

werd...

plus, i doubt that it's a saltwater tank with live rock...

acerkai640

by acerkai640

thanks for all your info and how long should i use the old filters for, cuz i have a 30 gal now and i know my old filter wont be doing much of anything. and yeahs its freshwater, im transfering everything in the next few weeks so hopefully ill have some pics up soon, or atleast some before the fish go in. thanks
ps anye other helpful info would ne greatfully app.

gumbii

by gumbii

i would leave the old filters running for a couple of weeks...

good luck...

cycling

14 posts • Page 1 of 2