filter help

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

delumpcious

filter help

by delumpcious

i have the fuval 404 and i just got it off ebay its doing good but when i go buy filter media what should i get because there are like 7 thing http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumP ... mover.html
as u see there are different ones what is best for a Cichlid tank

gumbii

by gumbii

i would just fill it up with biological media, crushed coral with oyster shells, and mechanical media like polishing pads... maybe carbon... i don't like using carbon much...

delumpcious

by delumpcious

but carbon takes the fishy smell out

gumbii

by gumbii

so does waterchanges and low phophate foods...

delumpcious

by delumpcious

what kindof food do u use and how often do u change the water

seankh

by seankh

Ill have to agree with gumbii i dont like carbon either and water changes do take the smell from your tank. I feed my cichlids aqueon cichlid sticks and once a week a feed them cucumber or lettuce. I do a 10% water change every week.

delumpcious

by delumpcious

ok so whats the best media to use

gumbii

by gumbii

premium foods don't have that much phosphate... i like new life spectrum, hikari, frozen foods and fresh veggies...

well... that's the media that i always use for my africans... puka (crushed coral w/oyster shells), biological and mechanical... the puka could also be used as biological... but it buffers the water for high PH and calcium...

ELI05GT

by ELI05GT

I don't use carbon with my Oscar, some believe it is one cause for HITH in Oscar's. The main use for carbon is to take out meds if you are useing them, and like other's have said, the smelly fish water. But they way I see it, is if you do your W/C on a regular basis you don't need carbon. I mean if your water starts to smell maybe it is time for a W/C or there is something wrong.. Just my 0.02

ELI

filter help

9 posts