Fish Only Tank PT: 2

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

edub6307

by edub6307

The live rock I bought was dying so I sold it to a guy with a whole complete setup!

BUT, I have a few peices of dead live rock I had for a few months...

...it was cycling for about two months, and I found out that the filters I was using (2 power filters, and 1 canister) Would cause so many problems!

So everyone, help me out...I can start over.. what do I need for another FOWLR tank?

Heres the info:

-29 gallon
-65w light

what all do I need?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

a profile picture :) im such a hypcrite

edub6307

by edub6307

I took everything down, its just a dry tank with every inside of it!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

IMO - 20 -40 lbs araglive sand, and about 20 lbs of decent live rock, fiji is great rock and resonably priced, you don't need high tonga or other fancy high lifeform containing rock right now

fill er up and let her go........treat the tank as if it's full of expensive fish........regular water changes, testing, record everything...........i would say safely once the tank is full your easily 2 months from a fish - - maybe 6-8 weeks in you could put a cleaner crew in there - - other than that, it's a time consuming hobby and you have about 4-5 weeks of hard work ahead of you - - - but its all worth it .......i promise

most "former aquarists" get out of it with in the first 6moths to a year because of a rushed tank crash or not realizeing the actual investment it takes to care for such a delicate environment {and i don't mean the money}

dig in man it'll work out

Snowboss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Patience. I have a 29 gallon. Go get you a BIG bottle of CYCLE. it works about as good as anything, and feed your empty tank for a while maybe add some rock in there.and do water changes. Thats going to get your bacteria count up. After parameters settle down start adding your sand that will help as well. Use a sump, it gets all the ugly equipment out of your display. Tricky? yes sometimes but well worth it once you have it figured out. Glad your still trying to stay in it! Hang in there!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

many people swear by chems but i have to disagree with useing cycle......BUT............ my goal as a salt water person is to be as natural as posable, so cycle is not a bad idea at all but IMO do everything fishboy suggested minus the "cycle" and you'll be fine .......just adds a few days or a week or so to the set up, but it's more stable at the end - -- - -

again, back to the foundation - - -you can put one up quick and cut corners, but the one done correctly will support more and last longer ..............

not bad advise from fishboy {i want to stress that} just different than mine, lol

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

Look on craigslist for your LR because there are a lot of people selling their LR for $1-$3 per lb. Plus, it's often been cycled for a few years. I just bought some from a guy with star poly's, mushrooms, and frogspawn on it. Nice thing is that it's been cured and there is not much die off as long as you transport it properly. Take some of the original water with it and use a powerhead to clean all the poop out of it before you put it in your tank. I just added about 20lbs last week to my 125lbs I currently have in my 100 gallon. Couldn't pass up the deal.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

damn there is never live rock for sale around here.... cheap farming bastards..... i guess my tank will have to be nicknamed the oasis... so exactly what is a bottle of cycle?

8 posts