Platies Gone Wild!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

Platies Gone Wild!

by yasherkoach

My platies are breeding like crazy. I started off with 7 platies (5 red platies and 2 red wag platies), and now, I looked this morning, I have a total of 23 platy fry.

Once these fry grow, how should I get rid of them? I read somewhere on this section that fishkeepers can sell or give their fish away to stores. If so, should I give only to local pet stores? Should I wait for the fry to grow to an inch long? Should I call various pet stores to see if they'll take the fish? What is the usual way, sell, trade or just give them away?

I love all my fish, but if I continue on like this, I will have nothing but a platy tank with hundreds of fish that will cause over-crowding.

Any info will help, gratefully appreciated

seankh

by seankh

TAKE THEM TO YOUR LFS THEY'LL MORE THAN LIKELY GIVE YOU STORE CREDIT (MINE DOES). I NEVER CALL FIRST BECAUSE MY LFS ALWAYS TELLS ME THEY DONT HAVE ROOM .SO I JUST POP UP WITH A BAG OF FISH OUT OF THE BLUE THAN THEY TAKE IT ALL THE TIME LOL.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

WHY ARE WE YELLING??????

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

My lfs takes my less-expensive fry. They want them to be of age so they can sell them right away. Otherwise, they have to pay for their upkeep, which isn't desirable for $2 fish.

I have 4 Platy, one male and three female. I have only 3 fry left from the last batch because I have a 4" Pearl Gourami who loves live food, as well as a 1.5" Red-Tail Black Shark. The Platy themselves will also eat their own young sometimes.

Get a bigger fish that will enjoy the live food diet or keep taking fry to the lfs and hope they don't stop taking them!

I also agree with just dropping in with the fry, don't call first. LOL It also helps that I don't ask my lfs for anything in return for such cheap fish.

Zambize

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

what kind of fish do you recommend zambize without killing my adult tetras, danios and platies?

or I can just hand them over to a local pet store...if if I can control the fry by having a fish devour the fry, I will do so. Sounds a little harsh, but it's like killing wild rats (I used to raise rats as pets; but the wild ones I would kill if need be), so I will to keep the population down.

any recommedations zambize...I have a 55 freshwater gallon tank; could you recommend a fish that can either live by itself or in pairs?

thanks much

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have a 4" Pearl Gourami. They are quite passive, but won't usually take any crap. She's the biggest fish, too. The tetra and danio are way too big for a Gourami to eat. Don't get the Dwarf Gourami though. They are more sensitive and die more easily. Gourami in general like calm waters so the 2" Dwarf would probably be stressed by the tetra and danio. I had some Zebra Danio that I had to return because my Dwarf Gourami wouldn't come out anymore. The bigger 4" Gourami is less affected . They prefer to hang out at the top and like some tall plants or floater plant. Which just happens to be where the fry like to go...

Do not have other Gourami, or any labyrinth fish with the Gourami. They seriously don't get along. The one Gourami would prefer to be alone.

My Gourami gets along perfectly with the Platy, but do a little research on the compatibility with tetra and danio. The only thing I'm thinking is the possibility of fin nipping since the Gourami is quite slow.

The Gourami is very attractive and she has personality...

Zambize

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Pearl Gourami, thanks much zambize.

I will go tonight and get this fish. Gratefully appreciated

Platies Gone Wild!

7 posts