Can Neon Tetra Disease infect Guppies or Shrimp?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Hello,
my tank contains 10 guppies, 2 otos, and 6 shrimp. Also it has 3 Neon Tetras. I dont know if the tetras may or may not have the very deadly Neon Tetra Disease. I know that other Tetra fish can get it and die. But can Guppies or Shrimp be hurt by it? I hope the neons I have don't have it, going to go inspect them at the store I got them from.

Thanks guys,

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

what disese is it?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've never heard of that disease. Tetras are sensitive and need appropriate pH and water softness though I don't have those figures in my head. I think they need water like diskus, acidic and soft.

seankh

by seankh

tetras need a pH of 5.5 to 7.5. And is the disease your talking about called Pleistophora? If so this can affect other fish im not sure which fish it can or which fish it cant but i know it does affect other fish.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Doubtful whatever it is it will hurt your inverts (shrimp). They have their own share of problems.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I too know nothing about this disease, but whatever it is, my best advice is get any fish or shrimp out of the tank that is infected into a hospital tank. If all your fish and shrimp are infected, then I would google the crap out of Neon Tetra Disease

don't know what to tell you

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

also one other thing, are you sure you even have the disease? if there is no problem in the tank, then why worry about it?

just wondering

seankh

by seankh

heres a link to what disease your talking about http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disea ... isease.htm

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Because the 2 fresh young Neon Tetras I got from the store look like they might have it. But on the other hand they could have been bitten or hurt too because I've seen some fish have white patches and then disappear.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

accordig to seankh's link, this disease is rapid and will cause death (except in Angelfish).

white patches, according to above link, is a secondary infection.

To be on the safe side, I would quaratine the fish for about 2 weeks. Observe the fish for any deteroriation. Possibly you can isolate the problem.

According to the link, if another fish even nips at the diseased fish the nipper will get the disease. So it's best to place the tetras in a hospital tank, and observe.

Unsure what else to say. Read the link and isolate the fish.

10 posts