Confused about lighting options for a 10 gallon planted tank

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Hello. My 10 gallon planted tank currently has a fluorescent light bulb that came with it. It doesn't say how many watts it is nor what is its spectrum range (like 3000, 6000, 12000 etc)

So my question is how many watts does my tank with plants need if I want the plants to grow at maximum rate? Is there a good balance between making plants grow and preventing too much algae from growing?

What spectrum do I need for the tank? Is the highest one available the best? I know that UV will kill needed bacterias, so its bad. so which spectrum range or type of light is the best?

Thanks for your help guys.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

How much are you willing to spend? What kind of plants are you growing?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You can go cheap and grow low light plants like anubias, java fern and moss, and even amazon sword. This is by far the easiest and the way I have preferred mostly. 40 watt 2 foot 2 bulb shoplight flourescents with plant bulbs work great for these plants and are very inexpensive.

There are also these great lights called SHO screw in flourecsents which screw into any screw in fixture. Google it "SHO aquarium flourescent"

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I have Anubias Nana, Amano moss, Ludwigia, and also this bunched plant that looks like micro sword, but I am pretty sure its not. Its light green and looks like grass except all the grass leaves come from one spot in the center.

gumbii

by gumbii

i would go with 4-5 watts per gallon... it's a ten gallon tank... so you only need like 50 watts... hmm...

i would get this...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12210

lol...

srsly.. i would get that... but maybe you could retro fit some other PC lights in there... check out ebay...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Nice looking light Gumbii. That would be a hight light plant growing environment with 4-5 watts per gallon. That would need careful regulation of ferts and prevention of algae growth.

gumbii

by gumbii

not if it's heavly stocked... and R/O water... maybe no fish...

my friend has a 12g nano cube with exotic plants... he has 120w lights... so 10w per gallon...!!!

gumbii

by gumbii

i forgot what my point was...

he has no algae at all... but he doesn't have any fish in there... it's amaizing...

ocreef

by ocreef

I would use PC's power compacts over your ten gallon, like the Current USA Orbit 2 x 40 watt, measures 20.75" x 9" x 4.5" . The same lighting you would put over a ten gallon saltwater with lets say...a few mushroom corlas/a few SPS (small polyped stony corals) you would put over your planted tank. Plants are photosynthetic just like these corals are.

If you want to stick with your stock light fixture, try a Zoo Med Flora Sun Bulb. These lights are for planted aquariums, terrariums, and marine reef aquariums for promoting healthy plants and fish. This high intensity 5000°K lamp has peak emissions in the blue and red regions to maximize the photobiological processes in plants

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I wonder if the stock light would have enough power to grow plants? I have a 2 bulb 2 foot long shoplight and it worked great for my 10 gallon and only cost like $20 with the bulbs.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2