Upgrade =D

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jav36

by jav36

yeah i agree the flame angel is a risk. ill proably end up getting a couple of gobys instead of him. that leopard is really cool too! hes definetly going into consideration. also, do you think i could switch the yellow coris with a longnose butterfly? is that a risk to only softies and lps or does it include sps?

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

If you're still debating which return pump to buy, look at the capacity of your overflows. If the overflow is rated at 600 gph, that's the range of pump the you should be looking at. If you are running the output of your return pump through anything (like a chiller), then you should also consider loss. The Mag 7 is marginally adequate, but consider the 9.5 with a ball valve to throttle it back if it exceeds the overflow capacity of your overflows. If the pump efficiency deteriorates over time, you'll have some wiggle room with the 9.5, while the Mag 7 will be maxed out...
Just a thought...
LL

jav36

by jav36

already purchased the 7... so now im just working on my diy 20 gallon sump with acrylic baffles.

anyone have any opinions about the yellow longnose butterfly in an sps reef?

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

I do have an opinion about the butterfly fish w/ SPS. Personally I wouldn't do it... but that's just me.

I think I said in another post that I enjoy the fish but I treasure the coral. I don't want a $40 fish destroying the polyps on a $400 SPS colony...

Again, that's just my take on it...

Good luck.

LL

jav36

by jav36

true many people get away with it, others dont..

i may just give him a try

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

Start with cheap corals... if they become fish food, no great loss... :-)

LL

jav36

by jav36

yeah your right there.

i have a few more questions for you guys....

what is everyones expiriences with green mandarins? i have a 20 gallon diy sump/refugium to satisfy their need for copepods but there will also be a leopard wrasse who will eat them. any advice? should i go for it or stay away?

also, i plan on using koralias for flow. what combination of numbers and different models (1,2,3,4) should i use to create enough flow for sps?

jav36

by jav36

?

schigara

by schigara

Any one natural competitor for pods will cut your tank size in half, effectively, as far as the Mandarin is concerned.

My 75g has 2 refugiums that are about 45g's combined and have tons of pods. I have a Bipartitus and Ornate Leopard Wrasse and also a Scooter Dragonette. The Scooter was fat when I got him and has continued to lose weight. I am going to catch the Scooter and return him very soon.

Some Mandarins can be taught to eat prepared foods but not many. Most Leopard Wrasses will eat prepared foods but will also constantly forage for live pods and will out compete Madarins, overall.

In general, I'd say no to having a Mandarin with any pod competitor such as a Leopard Wrasse. Maybe in a 180-220g with just one competitor.

Try using some patience and get to know your LFS guy and wait for a Mandarin that will eat prepared foods or keep one in QT and try to convert it yourself.

jav36

by jav36

thanks shigara!

Upgrade =D

21 posts • Page 2 of 3