snowflake eal not eating

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

snowflake eal not eating

by singapore

my eel used to eat every other day. maybe half a silverside, or a chunk of his favorite table shrimp. a few days ago, he ate nearly a whole silverside. but now he wont eat. its been maybe 4 days...

do they g through phases where they dont eat? is there anything i can do to get him eating?

btw, hes about 10 inches

im going to my lfs at somepoint this week. maybe even tomorrow. so if theres anything i should pick up, then i want to know asap

littlej2455

by littlej2455

what do you water parameters look like? How long have you had the eel? When and how much was your last water change?

singapore

by singapore

my water is fine. the ph is normal, notrates are the lowes theyve ever been thanks to a new protein skimmer. ummm...not sure how long its been its been since the last water change. but ive had him for 2 months now. and hes eaten all the time untill now.

schigara

by schigara

I usually just shoot snakes. This snake is in the water and a box so it's a judgement call. Maybe you'll get lucky and the ugly thing will just die.

I once caught a black eel fishing the inter coastal down in Orange Beach Ala. That thing hissed at me and I literally beat it off my line. Try feeding it some antifreeze or muriatic acid.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

WOW!
What a beautiful and helpful opinion. Must have came from a true animal lover.
Singapore,
I think you simply overfed him. Not much you can do about it right at this point.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Do you have a quarantine tank?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i must say im supprised.............im gonna say Schigara was having a bad day, lol, that was totally out of charector for sure .....................................

singapore

by singapore

yeah i do believe killing him is a stupid suggestion.

anyways. i dont have a quarantine tank... just the 55. somebody once reccomended a product to get fish eating...ummm....something garlic? maybe not...i might be thinking of something else. do eels prefer anything more than shrimp and silversides?

littlej2455

by littlej2455

you can try to feed it squid.

snowboss

by snowboss

this may sound silly but are you missing any other fish? Serial32 has a monster in his tank that was eating about the same as your eel then one day a cichlid was missing and oscar didn't eat for like 2 weeks, do they molt or anything like that? my large hermit will disappear for a week or more and not eat while he's doing that business, is he being bullied? doesn't take much to stress lil guys out, my 2 larger clowns will chase the little one at feeding time sometimes, i just drop some food on one end of the tank and wait till they are eating then drop a little for the tiny guy to get on his own at the other end...........and sometimes they just aren't hungry, unless there is something wrong with him , the will to live will over come any pickyness and he will eat eventually

Good luck man

Boss

snowflake eal not eating

18 posts • Page 1 of 2