favorite websites

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

favorite websites

by blueshoes2208

k guys besides fostersmitih and marinedepot what are you guys fav sites for supplies and rock?

newbie916

by newbie916

Try craigslist for live rock in your local area. You could also find some screamin deals on used stuff. Go to A-Piece-of-the-reef on e-bay for killer deals on cleaning crews. If I think of anything else, I will post another reply

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Well I purchase all my fish frm Live Aquaria (Dr Fosters & Smith)

I purchase Olive Nerite Snails from azgardens.com (79 cents a pop)

I purchased most of my aquarium set-up from Pet Solutions online

I purchase my live plant nutrients, Flourish Tablet from aquariumguys.com

I purchased my aquarium or the tank itself from Petsmart

I purchase decor from Big Al's online (best buckets in the world)

And I purchased stuff here and there from That Fish Place online

But my best place to purchase fish stuff is from Dr Fosters & Smith (and LIve Aquaria)

gumbii

by gumbii

i agree with newbie on the craiglist or online pennysavers...

los angeles has www.recycler.com and i also check out www.reefcentral.com i like getting the rock here because it's allready cured and everything...

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah the only thing abotu craigs list and stuff like that is alot of things are pickup only no shipping and i live in the middle of west texas and let me tell you first hand, there isnt shit here, there is alot of stuff sold in san antonio or dallas but thsoe are both 6 hours away. Where do you go on reefcentral to buy the live rock??

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

www.vividaquariums.com. I like this site,but need more money

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

that is a nice website but expensive as hell haha ive got all the time in the world to cure the rock so uncured is fine with me

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I like to cure all the live rocks in the freshly set up main tank. I always order a few extra pounds just in case. I love to watch the curing process. All kinds of algaes and critters come and go during this time. It is pretty amazing at night, when all the scavengers came out of the rocks. I used to sit there for hours holding the "Reef Invertebrates" book by Bob Fenner and Anthony Calfo, and look at the pictures tried to recognize the inverts I found on/in the rocks.

The best part when the nuisance (mostly green hair) algae dies off, and coralline start to replace them. You can see new coralline spots every day.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

what rock is worth the bang for the buck in your opinion? kalini (sp?) is like 30 or 36 lbs for 119 at drfostersmith.com, i have just noticed that ALOT of people have gone with fiji, would some foundation rock with kalini look okay or what?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

It doesn't matter. All live rocks gives you the same benefits. Nitrifying and denitrifying bacterias, more stabilized ecosystem, natural buffer, etc... All you have to decide which type of rocks you like better. You can use base rock for foundation, burried to the sand bad.
I always have a picture in my mind, before I start aquascaping.
You also have to think about the future of your tank. What would you like to keep in it? Corals (less rock) or fish only ( more rock, cool caves, overhangs etc..).
Aquascaping is one of my personal favorite. A very relaxing work, if you have the patience and the passion.
This coming Friday I'll aquascape a 125G FO tank for one of my friend. GOOD TIMES, GOOD TIMES!

favorite websites

12 posts • Page 1 of 2