Please help!

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Markh32

Please help!

by Markh32

I've 6 cichlids for over 2 years now and all of a sudden 4 of them died within 3 weeks and another one has white crusty stuff sticking outta his eyes, the symptoms are white stuff all over the body and redness around the fins, does anyone know what this is and how do i stop it?!

gumbii

by gumbii

man... that sounds like a major bacterial infection... but i've never seen that before first hand... can you take any pictures..? and have you dealt with ick before...? is it ick...?

are the eye's swollen and grey...?

Markh32

by Markh32

No ive never seen this before, im not sure how to explain it but my one fish has white crust sticking outta his eyes about 1cm, he's definitely blinded cuz he keeps swimming into stuff

gumbii

by gumbii

oh shnap...!!

that's crazy...

hmm... i'm trying to think what it could be... hold on i'll look in my disease book i have here in the office...

looks like your cichlid has Velvet... treat the tank with maracyde RIGHT AWAY!... this is a parasitic disease and is sometimes caused by exposure to nitrite or prolonged high nitrate levels, so increasing water change schedule in this tank may be in order...

dude good luck... and i hope i'm right... but i would still want to see pictures... let me see if i find some online somewhere...

gumbii

by gumbii

does it look like this kind of...???

http://www.petfish.net/articles/pix/arts3/velvet.jpg

i can't find any other good pictures... fail...

Markh32

by Markh32

Thanks alot for finding that! Im on my mobile right now, i wish i can show a pic, i took a couple of my leporinus, he was the only one not hiding, hopefully i can get the pics up so u can see what im talking about

Markh32

by Markh32

Yea it does look like that but the eyes seem to be affected pretty bad w/ my fish

gumbii

by gumbii

go to petsmart or petco and get some maracyn... quick...

hopefully you could save those poor fish you have left...

good luck... and keep us posted...

seankh

by seankh

Yea velevet sucks man! If you have had 4 deaths already it might already be to late but when my fish got velvet i caught it early and used a product called copper safe made by mardel. good luck

Please help!

9 posts