What is the big deal about carbon?

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I never use carbon on any of my tanks because it dosn't seem to affect my water qualityand it is quite expensive. I use double bio material instead.Any thoughts or views?

gumbii

by gumbii

it makes a huge difference in my tanks... especially if you're heavily stocked... but i hardly use they in they tanks...

i use it in my SW tank though... but i have to take it out soon... my protein skimmer works well now...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

If you poke a hole in the bottom of a cup and then put the top side into the water and then press the cup down fast to create a blow hole of air through the hole in the cup you can smell your water way better. This can make you decide if you want to use carbon because it also improves smell of the water.

gumbii

by gumbii

werd... that's probably the best reason to use carbon... especially if it's in the living room...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I did that today with a container I was using as a refuge or quarantine. I was like man the water does smell. haha.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've used charcoal very successfully to remove the fishy smell from my tank. I use it to help remove driftwood tannins faster, too.

Z

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... it also removes the wierd color water from terra cotta pots...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

True, it also has more advantages than disadvantages so just use it and shush.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree, charcoal is fine. Charcoal tends to make the water crystal clear.

Only bad thing about charcoal, is if you medicate the tank, the charcoal needs to be taken out beforehand or else the carbon will minimize the effect of the medicine. Once the medication does its job, then the charcoal can be put back in.

It is also good to change charcoal every month or so for it loses much of its effect.

But there are more advantages to charcoal than not having any:

crystal clear water
helps with water pollution
helps with an ammonia spike
removes harmful chemicals

it's a debatable topic; I lean more toward using it. Others may not, depends on the needs of the tank or the perspective of the hobbyist.

gumbii

by gumbii

if you don't have premium carbon, after a wile it will leak the toxins back into the tank... after a month or more...

15 posts • Page 1 of 2