Best filtration medias?

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jweb1369

Best filtration medias?

by jweb1369

I am starting work on a new canister filter to yet again increase my already over filtrated tank. I want to do this for experience and for possible use on new aquariums. Anyways, what are the three best filtration medias to put into my 4 liter canister? Also most price efficient, as I don't want to pay an astronomical price for something that is only debatably better.

I have been looking at the Rena stars, they seem pretty interesting and if I am correct seem to provide more surface area for bacteria. They say they never need replacement which is also good. Also the Rena bio-chem zorb seems nice. If anyone with canister experience can assist me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, your input and info is always great!

gumbii

by gumbii

for biological you could go to a 99 cent mart and get those plastic pot scrubbers... those work really well...

you could even use pillow stuffing as filter floss...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Well I don't really want to put mechanical filtration in there as I will have to clean it much more. I plan to just do bio balls or ceramic of some sort maybe even glass. I also seen a seachem product that said it removes nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia. So that would be good! and then maybe some more bio filtration. I don't kno.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know what the best product to use is. I'd like to know what that pot scrubber stuff Gumbii is talking about.

I have issues with filter floss as a good base for bacteria because it doesn't seem to me to have enough surfaces, but I could be wrong. I think you will have to filter out particulates though before the water goes through the main part of your filter because I think you will still have crud build up that will suffocate in a sense the bacterial colonies you are trying to grow.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea I plan to put a sponge on the powerhead.

gumbii

by gumbii

you know... those tiny little loofa look-a-like things... they are plastic pot scrubers, and you get like a dozen for a dollar for the tiny ones... those things are wonderfull biological filtration media... better than biobale or bioribon... there's also another way to make plastic trash bags as biological filtration media...

but what i would do to that canister type of deal is make it into a sand filter if you just want it for biological... go online and search for diy sand filter... you'll see what i'm talking about... way better biological filtration than anything else out there...

i think they're also called sand bed filters...

Best filtration medias?

6 posts