protein skimmer

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

protein skimmer

by littlej2455

My tank has best running for about 3 months now. I have adjusted the air valve on my protein skimmer to produce that amount of skim that i wanted. For about a week or two, the amount of skim has been on a decrease. I listened closely to the airline tube and it sounds kind of like a gurgling noise. It does not sound like the air is moving smoothly through the tube. How do I unclog this or fix this problem?

singapore

by singapore

maybe make sure everything is securely attached. check that there is no salt buildup in the airtube. if there is a clog, unhook the air tube, and run it under some tap water. just to flush it out.

not sure what else to tell u.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I don't know much about saltwater tanks, but it sounds like, via common sense, that, like the other member said, possibly some salt build up in the tube.

What I would do first is, completely take out the tubing and replace it with a new one. See if that works. If it works, then that's the solution.

If not, possibly the motor is weakening, you may need a whole new skimmer. I am sure it is under some kind of warranty.

hope this helps

littlej2455

by littlej2455

thanks singapore i will try that.

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

Try this - if your air tube has a silencer on the end... submerge the silencer is a little RO/DI water for a few seconds...let the fresh water draw down into the venturi. Watch what happens. Sometimes this will clear up a clog in the air tubing. It will make your skimmer freak out for a few moments, but it may solve your issue... just a thought...

LL

protein skimmer

5 posts