Leaking out of air tube

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Jeanie

Leaking out of air tube

by Jeanie

Hi, I'm a new owner of a freshwater fishtank. The other night, water started leaking out of the tube that sits outside of the tank and, I assume, is supposed to suck air into the tank. I fiddled around with it and it stopped, but suddenly it started again last night. Now I hve the tube pointing into the tank in case it happens again. Anyone know why this might be happening? Any help would be appreciated, THANKS!!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

When you have tubes that come out of the tank, go over the edge and end up below the surface of the water a siphon (suction) can develop and it can drain your tank. So this is this a bubbler (air stone) tube? Air pumps should ideally be placed above the level of the water so if the pump turns off this doesn't happen. Is this an extra tube that doesn't do anything? There shouldn't be any extra tubes. You may have 2 air stones and you only have one hooked up? In that case you need a valve adapter to hook both air stones to the pump. If you explain I may be able to help. You probably didn't hook up your aquarium kit correctly. Peter

Jeanie

by Jeanie

I totally understand what happened now. Our electricity went out for a few minutes and that's probably when the suction started. That totally makes sense. I suppose the best thing to do is rig something so that the tube is above the water level. Thanks for the quick and thorough explanation!!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Never the less, you shouldn't have any tubes coming out of your tank that aren't connected to something. The tube coming form the pump should split into two and each of the two should go to an air stone unless you only have one airstone. In that case there should be one tube circuit from the pump to the air stone. A siphon is a situation where the lower end of the tube is below water level and the weight of the water in the tube actually pulls the water up before it goes down.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I know for my air pump I have a tubing check valve that I had to install on the tube between the pump and the air stones... in case of a power failure the surge doesnt spit water back out of the tube towards the pump. Its very cheap and saves you this problem. Quoted from an online store, "Check valves should be used on air pumps to prevent the siphoning of aquarium water into the air pump in event of power interruption." Here, you can see what it looks like, very very easy to install:

http://rena-aquatics-outlet.planetrena. ... ories.html (scroll down to Airline tubing check valve)

PS: and Peterkarig is correct, you should have no open ended tubes anywhere

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Buy a new one

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

is she talking about a powerhead ?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i believe if it was the venturi on a powerhead, the tube that comes out has no way of suctioning water frm the powerhead out of the tank... air pumps without check valves notoriously spit back water during power surges.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

u r probably right. but she did not say .

Leaking out of air tube

9 posts