Supporting my habit.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

Supporting my habit.

by Zambize4899

There is definitely a no-more-fish rule in effect in my house, but my mind is always spinning with how to "make an exception". :) My latest plan is to add a couple more fish with the "story" being that they are simply breeding fish and the lfs will take the fry in exchange for food and such to help cover the costs of my other fish. Making my fish work for a living, you know. ;) I have a 30 gallon tank in the garage that I *may* be allowed to set up.

I'm not too concerned with the legitimacy of my endeavor, LOL, but I do want to be able to unload the fry and I don't want to spread to multiple tanks (really). Any ideas about what type of fish may fit this bill? I like Cockatoo (apistogramma caucatuoides) but they need softer water than I have. The lfs would like them too, they are hard to find around here, but I also don't want to be lugging water around either. We have very hard water, I can get my pH to around 7.4-7.6, and other parameters are good.

Zambize

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I have a question. When your fish breed who do you talk to at the store to sell them to? How much do they give you for them? and dont you have to raise them to juvies?

seankh

by seankh

Lfs are kind of like pawnshops.They will try to rip you off and give you way less than what there worth turn around and try to sell them for triple what they got it for. Matter of fact my lfs wont even give you cash just store credit.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Hell store credit is more than fine with me. Honestly though, they should offer you more in store credit and less if you opt for cash. At Petsmart I get $3 off everytime I go because they have phone surveys that I take on every receipt. I doubt Petsmart would buy my fish though, but there are two more pet stores within a mile of my house that I could sell to maybe.

seankh

by seankh

try breeding frontosa they are kind of expensive in virginina at 30.00 for a tiny one barely an inch long

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

jweb...only 3$? I get 5$ off for every phone survey at the Petsmart here...and they even redeem them if they're expired....

jweb1369

by jweb1369

dang, not here... things might be cheaper in florida though.

LDSCHMIDT296713

by LDSCHMIDT296713

My LFS gives me 50 cents a molly. Which doesn't sound like much but I can make 10-15 bucks on one batch of babies, and I usually have 3 batches at a time.

gumbii

by gumbii

my LFS gives me 5 bucks every severum... but i sell them online for 10 bucks each...

i wouldn't know what you could breed... try breeding rams...

i also have to lay off of the addiction... i need to get my liscense/car running, and stop buying fish... this weekend i spent almost 200 bucks on a used skimmer, three fish and a rock with a small branch of xenia...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

My lfs gives me store credit for just about anything, even guppies, but I don't want to be breeding guppies.... LOL

Z

Supporting my habit.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2