Power Outages

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jenrob21

Power Outages

by jenrob21

I live in southeast texas and there is a tropical storm moving this way. This is my first hurricane season to have aquariums and I was wondering what I could do in the event of an extended power outage(anything short of buying a generator). I dont know how long the fish could survive without heating, filtration, or water movement. Any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated so I dont lose any fish. The storm is only a couple of days away so if anyone could get back to me ASAP that would be great. Thanks !

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

go to walmart in the boat/fishing section and you can buy battery powered air pumps, they use em in live wells and bait tanks on fishing boats, depending on your tank size maybe a couple - - -in the aquarium section get some tubing and tee's and a few air stones - - - drop em in in a power failure and hope for the best, feed very lightly during the outage if at all, fish can go a few days if they have to, this will keep the waste down .........scary i know, good luck i hope you never need it, i have one in a box ready to go in the even of ice storm outages up here in NY

Snowboss

jenrob21

by jenrob21

Thanks alot !!! I didnt even think about that ! Have you ever had to use yours ? How long ? Any fish die ?

gumbii

by gumbii

i have honda generators... one for the house, and the other one for my ponds and tanks...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've seen those battery powered air pumps. People use them to keep the fish they catch and put in a bucket alive. Pretty cool, and they seem to run for quite a while on a set of batteries.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

thankfully i haven't had to use it at all, i have been without power for a couple hours and everything seemed to be ok .............it happened in the morning after we all left the house and the skimmer lost prime so it was off all day, she was a little noisy for a couple hours but the tank was fine.....................i have a friend whose into fishin big time, i got the idea from him, he has the biggest one they have and say it'll bubble a livewell for 6-7 hours on a set of batteries, with 2 large air stones . . .hope it's money spent on something that never used, hope this helps

lol maybe i'll patent a power outage aquarium kit and sell it for like 100 bucks .......

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It's when you are prepared that you never seem to be in trouble. Things happen when you're not.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hhhmmmmmm....................Boss is thinkin maybe he should put a roll cage in his jeeps...................lol

Power Outages

8 posts