I dont really understand

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

I dont really understand

by littlej2455

Alright my tank has been running for about 3 months now. I have been doing all the regular 10% water changers every other week and filter maintains every now and then. I have been feeding my fish, so that they eat all of it in about 2 minutes, and I have also been scoping out all of their poop. I just tested my water for nitrites and it was at .25. Why did I get a little nitrite spike? I know time only lowers nitrite, but is there a way to help prevent these spikes?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If you have room............a refugium will solve it completly. I run a refugium now and it has made my protein skimmer obsolete........Soo i dont run one. weird i know.... I dont have any spikes except when I stir the sand and move stuff around a lot........which im ADD and a bit of OCD. :) I like to move stuff and it has to be perfect. I just run a filter sock now and have a refugium and my water is crystal clear. :) No nitrates no phosphates nothing at all. I love it! Did you put your rock in and then your sand? that could be a reason or even build up under the rocks. Turkey baste your rocks and see if you get a bu nch of gunk. :)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

JK you dont have live rock.........could be the bio balls.....

gumbii

by gumbii

wait...

if you use a refugium, you don't need a protein skimmer..????

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I dont know........im trying it out. :) Check out my other post.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You read snowbosses post about hydroponics with the water........same thing.......plants take in nutrients..........massive amounts............and im trying to see if they take it in fast enough to be a complete filter in them selves.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you could still run a skimmer after the refugium. what ever the plants dont use the skimmer will get + the skimmer will add oxegen.

angus4481

by angus4481

i agree about the refugium, they help alot. i made a specimine container somewhat into a HIT (hang in tank)refugium, eversince i put it in, my water has become crystal clear. i still run a protien skimmer, but it works alot less. i have also noticed the behavior in my mushrooms, they dont shrivle up as much

littlej2455

by littlej2455

i dont think i have room for a refugium, but that is a good idea. I think i am going to replace my bioballs with live rock, because it seems like that will help out a lot. I had a quick question about my protein skimmer though. When i was cleaning out my filter he other day I looked at the air valve. It sounded like a gurgling noise, kind of like not all the proper air was going through the tube correctly. How do I fix this?

mermaid25

by mermaid25

if ur using a bio-filter...try putting live rock in the bottom of it...live rock will help with the spikes

I dont really understand

19 posts • Page 1 of 2