What's in my tank??????

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

What's in my tank??????

by Snowboss4492

1st off, what a great site!!!!!

So I'll just jump right in hear with my question: I have a new 20 gal, long, FOWLR tank running a whisper 20 HOB filter, satilite power compact lights and a aquaclear 20 power head . . .after a very rough cycle period {6 damsels in 6 dmsels dead] [NOT ALL AT ONCE] I have found a LFS that gets involved with his customers and we have come to the opinion that the last LFS is a shady type person and I've probably brought at least one diseased fish into my system. As of today the water conditions are Nitrite = 0, nitrate = a weak 20, amonia = 0, PH = 8.0 [i'm running a buffer regiment to bring up to 8.2, the water temp has been 78 degrees consistantly. My new LFS has suggested I sit on the tank for 7-10 days and he is going to go hand pick me a couple nice damsels {he goes to NYC} and I have already purchased a nice Clakii Clown, that he is holding until we are in the clear...................so ...............tonight I'm looking at my empty tank and it looks a little "cloudy" I am seeing a lot of small bubbles but after staring into it I am seeing what looks like little tiny shimp/ bugs / sea monkeys - -I don't know, do I have parasites????? do I have baby somethings???? do I nuke the tank and start again?

oh yeah, I have about 4 lbs of live rock that seems to be doing fine, about 8 lbs of dried coral that I'm expecting to be live rock in the future and a pretty good growth of green hair algea that I'm not panicing about yet but would like to know what to do with soon....I'm reading blue leg hermits???

THANK YOU FOR ALL INPUT - Al

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

snow boss i think the bugs are normal every tank should have bugs . its like the earth it depends on worms and bugs for biological activity. dont rush things . you should have a seprate tank for fish and corals befor you add to your main display tank for that reson .. you get one fish with parisites ect. they will all get it . as for the green algea get a small tang/bleny if you plan on having corals i dont think the blue legs shold be added they will bother them. you can also run a uv steralizer if you think parisites are going to be a problem.

snowboss

by snowboss

Thank-you Pimp, As of now I'm not leaning towards corals, My vision is the live rock I have already, a Clarkii clown {already purchased but living at my LFS until the tank is ready} -i would love to get a picasso trigger but as far as I can tell my 20gal long is not enough tank, so i'll wait for a larger tank in the future for him. A couple damsels and I would love to get an anenome for the clown but i am not informed enough as to what kind i should or can get - so with that being said - how many crabs and snails should i get to provide a decent cleaning crew? I am looking at 5 blue legs, 3 crimsons and 5 mexican turbo snails. All the "cleaner crews" i've found are for 30 gallon tanks or larger.

Also if i might ask - -I want to upgrade my filter system from this HOB whisper 20 - I am looking at a Magnum pro 350 canister [has a bio wheel on it] or a penguin biowheel [probably a 350-400] i know it's over rated for a 20 gal but I want more than enough filter for the system - -also looking at a nano protien skimmer [I hate that "dusty film" on the top of the tank]

your opinions and advise are greatly apprieciated, Al

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i am selling my 65 gal tank custom drilled all plumbing pumps lights skimmer and evry thing else i will sell cheap or part it out let me know

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i dont like the magnum 350 it works good but you have to clean it alot . thats just my opinon. i have a przzem pro skimmer that skimes the top of the water . wash your hands good before you put them in the water. and more water movement on top will help some.

snowboss

by snowboss

Well the mag 350 costs more than the penguin to begin with. I am not opposed to paying for quality filtering but i don't want to waste money - so I think the penguin with twin bio wheels is my direction - unless you have a reason for going to a diferent canister vs, HOG type filters.....Your tank is beautiful man, the 20 long will eventually become a nano reef but thats off in the future, i need to stay in the simpler FOWLR area until i get more expieience. As far as your 65 gallon system goes, I would love to talk to you about parts or all of it depending on your price and my budget, lol feel free to e-mail me with some numbers and offers - -I'm in Germantown, NY 12526 - -as far as shipping info goes, thank you again for the advise, Al [ddc@valstar.net]

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

300 you can have every thing skimmer tank stand power compact lights + extra bulbs all plumbing 20 gal sump mag drive 950 prizzem pro 1/2 bag of coral life salt 5 power heads the tank is costum drilled in the back i want to upgrade to 200 gal i am in niagara falls ny

What's in my tank??????

7 posts