HELP PLEASE!!!

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gradyh

HELP PLEASE!!!

by gradyh

I woke up to find my reef tank looking extremely unhealthy, I lost color on my rock, my bubble tip looks bad, my duncan looks bad, my frogspawn looks bad even my poyps are closed!!! it looks like im about to lose my starfish and cleaners!!! my chemicals all check out fine!! I did a water change even so, WHAT CAN I DO!!!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

How long has your tank been set up? Ammonia levels okay? Is there a CONSTANT water temp that only changes by a degrees or so. Is the water that you change out the same temp as tank water? Do you add nutrients to the water?

Any of these could be a factor, I would say temperature most likely.

gradyh

by gradyh

Its been set up for 9 months now, ammonia is fine, but the temp does go from 78 to 80 through out the day, i add calcium, iodine, strontium...

singapore

by singapore

test for copper. did u medicate your fish recently?

nitrates may be high?

change filter media?

but jweb it totally right, it very wel could be temp. my tank goes through about a 3 or 4 degree change some days, and i definately see the stress in my anemone

gumbii

by gumbii

maybe your protein skimmer can't keep up with the load...? i've seen a tank crash that way before...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

stop adding chems, iodine,stronium... test your calcium level..double check salinity.. and how old are your lights?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

If that happend overnight, you might had a long power out. I've had it once, but I caught it. I stir the water for hours with my hand.

gradyh

by gradyh

The lights are all new, new filter media and everything!! But its just getting worse!! There is a redish orange algae growing on everything realy fast! I lost my star fish ughhhh

tangerine

by tangerine

i agree with dick headers. you may have had a long power outage.wud suggest you do a large water change and run carbon.

gradyh

by gradyh

Well...I lost it all! turns out, the dealer who sold me the R.O put far too much salt in the water, and of course my Redsea (horrible product) hydrometer broke, so it was giving me a perfect 1020 reading, when realy my tank jumped up to 1030...so everything is gone...we will see what happens

HELP PLEASE!!!

18 posts • Page 1 of 2