Corals Suddenly Closed Up ???????

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I have just recently converted my system by adding a sump. every thing running fine, but about 2 weeks later some of my corals started closing up. Xenia not as out, my daisy coral not out and both my toad stools. What could this be. system been running for two years then added sump. Flow is about 7000 ltrs per hour in about 700ltrs of water. all levels normal...
Fish all look healthy, just corals look like S***T
Thanks for any help

jweb1369

by jweb1369

you had to add water though for the sump right? Did you make sure you did everything right to make the water the same as tank water? Check and then re-check your procedure. Maybe the water added needs more nutrients? Might just be that the sump is new and has no beneficial bacteria build up yet.

schigara

by schigara

Did you add a bunch of new sand with your sump?

What was your alkalinty in DKH averaging before change? Did alk change 2 or more points, up or down during or after adding the sump? Do you have an electronic PH meter? Any big swings?

If things have been fine for 2 years and just started lookin funky right after adding a sump, something must have changed.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Hello Schigara,
I did actually add a heap of crushed coral that i have had sitting around in a bucket for some time. I washed it well in water first then added it to sump. I filled the sump tank with RO water and let sit for a week or so till my parameters all became the same as my main tank. Then started letting it flow through. I don't have an electric PH meter but i measure it manually by hand everyday at 6pm and it is 8.3 most nights. i did notice one night it dropped to 8.0 but the next day normal again.
Could what jweb1369 said (HI jweb1369 thanks for your advice) be true about no bacteria in tank. Main tank has 150kg of LR in a 5 x 2 x 2 tank. i thought main tank would support the extra water as far as bacteria was concerned.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Hello and thanks jweb1369 i have responded to ur ideas in prevoius post with some other ideas.
thanks

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

One other thing, the larger toad stool which was the one most effected from this ???? has slumped right over and shrunk real bad, but i have noticed its polyps are ever so starting to pop out again, a little like goose bumps, were the other day it was as smooth as a babys rear end, does this mean its on the mend. .

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

just noticed then that my actinic grow light, purple, made my corals that are affected start to come out, as soon as the halides come out they went back in???? WHAT THE

jweb1369

by jweb1369

You have them set on a timer for about 8-12 hours of light right? Saltwater organisms are so complex and effected by the most minute changes in water temperature and water quality. I seen a documentary on T.V. that the water in an area (I forget specific location) changed by 2 degrees and it almost whiped out an entire reef system also killing millions of jellifish making them near extinction. So I would imagine that by adding some new filtration to a system it just changed something minute that you might not be able to detect easily. Some fish or corals may be lost, hopefully only minor losses. After it is going for a while I believe things will get back to normal. Best of luck.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

it could be so many things bud ,
thing that could cause this
changed water movment
water clarity
water temp
alot of times toadstools will lay down because of low water current or corals will not open ,
salinity
have you uped your chems because you added the sump ?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

hey thanks for responding quick, i think my problem could be solved fingers crossed. when i fitted my sump, i bought the plumbing from the hardware, in a rush cause my wife hates the place i bought A brass or copper TAP FITTING.
Im thinking that this is putting small amounts of copper killing everything slowly
what do you think

12 posts • Page 1 of 2