mantis shrimp

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gumbii

by gumbii

i would love to have a tank with a peacock mantis shrimp... they're gorgeous and very smart... they recognize the person that feeds them and can interact with you...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

screw that, they will tear right through your finger. you have to have a tank that is thick as hell. i think they look gross like nasty bugs, gives me the chills (i hate bugs). Although after reading quite a bit of information on them i can assure anyone that if anyone has a question about them i can gladly answer it, haha. I read about 20 pages worth of info. Did you know that when they strike it is so fast the temperature of the water at impact is as hot as the surface of the sun? I also read a bit of info on pistol shrimps which are equally interesting creatures with an ability to produce a blast that stuns prey.

gumbii

by gumbii

repost...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

dang that mantis is huge i would also love to have one of those . the one i am holding in my pics is not nearly as large. that dude is crazy.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

They are too fast and bug-like for me to like them. Eww, just gives me chills to watch them swim and attack stuff. I seen a pic of a guy that got hit by one and his finger wasn't messed up that bad but it looked like it must have hurt like hell. Oh and the post I said about it being hot as the surface of the sun is wrong, I meant the pistol shrimp, it makes the water so hot it vaporizes and the bubble that occurs creates the click sound.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

yea if you noticed on that first video gumbii posted you can clearly hear the sound of the shrimp slamming the shell of the crab through the glass. They're pretty interesting little guys.

mantis shrimp

16 posts • Page 2 of 2