Protein Skimmer is overflowing

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I treated my tank with Chemiclean Red Slime Remover about 4 days ago. I followed the directions and turned off my protein skimmer for 48 hrs and did a 25% water change. However, when I turn on my protein skimmer it overflows. What do you guys think I should do? Let it run and overflow and hope that it settles back to normal or do another water change to see if that will fix it. Right now my protein skimmer is off.

Thanks,
newbie916

gumbii

by gumbii

what kind of skimmer is it...???

maybe it needs fine tuning...????¿

newbie916

by newbie916

Hi gumbii,

It's a Euro-Reef RS80-P017. I've been messing with the open and close valve, but even if I open it all the way it still overflows. Is there a different way for me to fine tune it? It actually came with the established 100g system, when I purchased it on e-bay about three months ago. It's been a very interesting journey and so far all of the guys advice on this forum have been a huge help. Really appreciate your input.

Thanks,
newbie916

gumbii

by gumbii

to be honest, i don't have any experience with that skimmer, or other ones...

but i just wanted you to say what kind of skimmer it was so someone can help you out better...

maybe you need to lower the output tube...? does it have one...?

newbie916

by newbie916

No problem, it's probably a good idea for me to have some details about the skimmer. I think it's the remaining Chemiclean that's still in my system, but I just wanted to make sure I don't mess anything up. I will probably just leave it off for a few more days and let the tank cycle through the Chemiclean some more and try to turn it on again. I believe Schigara mentioned his protein skimmer acted up for several hours. Thanks for the help

gumbii

by gumbii

are you running carbon...? maybe carbon could help get the stuff out of there faster...

lbmash

by lbmash

I have an rc80 skimmer and I just turn down the inlet supply valve when that hapens to mine

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

im not familure with that skimmer but in premis if you slow the water down going into the unit it should cut down on the overflow issue........then adjust it back up little by little as the tank calms down ....note: skimmers are ever changeing creatures as the water is ever changeing, as the tank matures and you get seasoned with it you'll be able to walk by the tank and know by the sound that it needs a little adjustment up or down ....................

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys for the info and I've been messing with the inlet supply valve for the last few days. No matter how I adjust it it still overflows. I'm going to try another 20% water change in a few days and kick it back on. It could be some of the chemiclean that's still in my water, which maybe causing it to overflow. My tank actually looks great since I treated the redslime and the critters don't seem to mind. Thanks again guys for the advice. I will keep you updated.

9 posts