Coolest tattoo parrotfish

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Is that true also? are they muels?
Last edited by ChristinaBug2890 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

wow...pretty guys eh.....and here i thought freshies were dull............lol

that whole tattooprocess sounds pretty rough ................are there salt water fish that are done like this to watched out for?? tht you know of........i can't imagine a SWfish surviveing an ordeal like that.................freshies are some tough Mother F'ers

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

That parrot up there did look more like a red devil. Is there any chance mine could just be exhibiting physical aspects of the other breed thats mixed in there? Or do I have something entirely different?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/ ... 1_1174.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/ ... 1_1176.jpg

The lighting/camera isnt the best but you can see that it isnt a brightly died specimin. In normal daylight it appears more purple/blue/green. Ohhh and I think he might turn pink cuz he's getting pink around the bottom fins and gills...unless thats some strange illness iv never heard of. It just looks like he's growing into a new colour.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I find this whole ordeal of coloring or tatooing fish insane.... What dumb f..k would come up with an idea like that? Wouldn't it cost more and be more time consuming than just selling the fish normally?

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

You'd think so eh. I wonder who came up with the idea in the first place?

gumbii

by gumbii

what do you mean by muels...? mules???...

a parrot cichlid is a mix between a red devil and i think a hero severum... i know those one s that you have christina have the same esact coloration as a green severum...

but... in order for them to get the deformed body shape and face they dip them into another chemical full of metals... i forgot wich one it is... but it makes them mutate into that shape...

lol... so no matter what a parrot cichlid is an abused fish from the start...

snoboss...

there's no SW fish that get tattoo'd or painted... since 95% of SW fish are wild caught, it's too expensive to risk it...

jewb...

money makes the world go round... if they make more cents per fish that they tattoo the better for them... and you must realize that they do thousands at a time... not just a couple... it probably takes them one day to do 3-4 thousand fish that way... look how many of them are in the petshops that are colored/tattoo'd/deformed by chemicals...

those pretty little balloon mollies and balloon rams... those things are chemicaly deformed... those fish aren't natural... i think balloon rams are awesome, and i've had some in the past... but it saddens me to know that they are treated that way...

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

damn, that disapoints me. I'll probably never get them again after this. Once i learned all that it just doesnt seem fair anymore. So if say I got a a red devil and a hero severum and tried to get them to spawn the fry would all look more like the red devil each and every time? Then to get them to that odd bubble shape it would take chems...i see.

Hm...so I probably have something with green severum in it then. Should i be planning for a bigger tank?

And as for them being muels (maybe i didnt spell it right or maybe i meant steril and maybe i dont know how to spell that either lol) ... you probably couldnt get 2 parrots to spawn if they were parrots in the actual definition???...red devil/severum cross...

gumbii

by gumbii

well evolution is still a mistery to us... so there have been some parrots that are breeding... so from there they have been breeding them with flowerhorn and red texas cichlids to come up with killing fish...

notice that alot of killing fish don't have the smiley/deformed mouth like the parrot cichlids do...

http://rareasianfish.com/images/FlowerParrots.jpg
http://aqua-bonito.web.infoseek.co.jp/C ... .6-01M.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9555/rscn2645uh6.jpg

i'm not going to lie... i like these guys... i have 10 of them... two are yellow, two are green and the rest are red with blue... they're gorgeous... since i love flowerhorns, but can't keep moar than one in a tank...

anyways... the reason they breed them with flower horns is well... flower horns also can't breed with eachother... you breed flowerhorns with red devils, gold severums or texas cichlids... it's all about genetics...

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

oh wow they are cool looking for sure. But its all a bit much for me...i see now that maybe i should have stuck with something simple. bah! oh well. At least im learning and the fishies are happy and alive. I should give them names.

gumbii

by gumbii

that's the spirit... as long as they are healthy and happy, it's all good...

plus... they are the most harmless cichlids you could get...

Coolest tattoo parrotfish

23 posts • Page 2 of 3