2.5 refuge.....

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

2.5 refuge.....

by fihsboy

Okay so I started a 2.5 gallon salt tank with 5lbs of live sand....today. Im thinking it only being 2.5 gallons it should be cycled within two weeks at most. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what I could do with it. haha sounds lame but im just messing around with it. I was thinkin about raising food in it, maybe brine shrimp and rotifiers. Get them nice and plump then transfer them to the main tank. :) My scooter blenny would love me! Mini refuge? maybe one fish.......but I dont want it to be a predator fish to my future food. Any ideas guys and gals?

jweb1369

by jweb1369

2.5 gallon is pretty small haha. umm i would say just keep it bare and maybe raise food in it, but with brine shrimp u have to feed them, and will eventually have to clean it i believe and that would probably be a whole other hassle. but if you are up to it, it sounds like a good idea. I would not buy any extra fish to house in it.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I took the advice you gave me and well.....I put some live rock in there and sand....HOPEFULLY, I can get something going here and eventually get some rotifiers going. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

2-3 algae hermits {like 1/2 inch} will help keep the rock clean and give you something cool to look at in there - - - i have about 8 in my 20 long and they are cool lil fellas and do a great job of cleaning

Boss

singapore

by singapore

if i had a little tank like that i would get some real cool invert for it. maybe...if you can keep the water quality stable, yo could get a cool clam. or even a small anemone with an anemone crab in it. or...you could try dwarf seahorses. they are sorta tough to care for, but definately interesting.

those are just some things i would try if i had a 2.5

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Thanks guys, I put three hermts in there all about half an inch. I has a 2 inch sand bed and about 5 lbs of live rock.....I have measure my parameters.........and believe it or not they are 0. I pulled the sand from my 29 gallon and replaced it with an extra 5 lbs. I was thinking about a flame scallop, or maybe a few feather dusters. It has 20watts of power compact light on it too, I made a fixture to go over it that works great! For now I have two damsels in it. By the way........if anyone is looking to get a little boy or girl a salt water tank.......I built the whole tank with filter and everything for 75 bucks. Thanks for the ideas guys!

snowboss

by snowboss

pics ???????????????????

gumbii

by gumbii

you should check out these guys... they have 1/2 gallon reef systems up and running...

http://www.nano-reef.com/

they could help you alot more...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

wow pretty nice site for us lil tank fellers, lol - - i think ill join

you a member there gum???

gumbii

by gumbii

i don't know... lol... it's been two years since i had the 13g reef, and 24g reef... so i might or might not be a member... ha...

2.5 refuge.....

13 posts • Page 1 of 2