Coolest tattoo parrotfish

23 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

bballergt

by bballergt

Check out my cool tank and fish. Feel free to rate it.

gumbii

by gumbii

pics not loading...

they have to go thru aproval first buddy...

anyways... do you know how they tattoo those poor little cichlids...???

i don't know if i should tell you or not...

bballergt

by bballergt

oh my bad, well it's on now

gumbii

by gumbii

sorry... it's cool... but i made a couple of my LFS stop carring any tattooed fish...

nice severum btw...

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Dont want to change the topic entirely but I was wondering if theres a way to identify if you're parrot has been died/tattooed, etc? The guy at my LFS said theres a chance that mine could have been try and fail types since they're clearly abnormal or maybe not...I was just wondering if theres a way to tell .... Mine dont have any real pictures or anything like that but my yellow has some black patches on its back...maybe thats a result of an attempted tattoo? Or maybe they're just weird.....

Either way I still love them I was just curious.

Disclaimer: When i bought them I chose ones that I thought were NOT tattooed (as they dont have any fancy pics on them and they were itty bitty behbehs)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

OK ....salt guy here......i guess i'm not understanding...what is a tattooed fish ??? i mean how do they do it ..............i'm pictureing some big fat goldfish with a heart the says mom on his fin ............................seriously though ...people tattoo their fish????

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

okay christina...

your fish isn't tattoo'd it's dyed... it's just like tattooing, but all over it's body... i'll explain right now...

okay boss... since you asked...

what they do is get a cichlid of some sort, koi fish, barb, shark, molly, or other fish they feel like... they put them in this chemical that has a whole lot of chemicals and metals to strip it of it's slime coat and it's scales... then from there they rinse the off in water, and towel dry them up... then they apply the ink... if it's a tattoo'd fish they just draw on it with paint brushes, or other tools...

if it's a colored fish like bug's parrot they just rub the ink all over it... then they put them all in an another container full of some other chemical that makes the ink penetrate the skin into where the pores are that make the scales gro back... then after that they put them in an another tank that has melafix, or something else that will rejuvinate thier scales and keep them from not dieing...

because of all of this alot of the fish that are painted/tattoo'd are weaker than other fish... well except a parrot cichlid... those are hardy... but the koi, and other fish usually don't have a long life span as would a non-tattoo'd/painted fish...

it's really horrible, and it shouldn't be done...

i'm sorry bballergt for killing the thread... but it's the truth... now i'm not saying that you shouldn't love that fish... just letting you know how it's done... it's brutal, and i always tell my LFS to stop carring those, and some do... actually alot of them do... even the owners don't know how it's done...

oh and christina... those parrots are usually black at birth, then they start turning red little by little... and they usually keep some of the black... but if it's all orange or any other color it's colored...

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Oh sweet so the black is natural? Mine arent all red or orange or anything...I was really trying to avoid supporting the whole practise so im glad if I did. Mine actually look yellow/black and the other is greenish blackish blueish purpleish and starting to turn a bit pink..he/she changes depending on lighting or action going on in the tank. Im actually starting to wonder if the ones got some other strain bred into it thats not typical of the standard parrots. He's just stranged shaped and all.

I know the orange and red ones you're talking about...iv seen those but mine dont look like that. Those ones are REALLY bright compaired to mine.

gumbii

by gumbii

gumbii

by gumbii

this is as natural as it gets...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Parrot.jpg

this is an amaizing specimen of parrot cichlid... it's color is very much like a red devil...

23 posts • Page 1 of 3