Dwarf Gourami

5 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Nikisfish

Dwarf Gourami

by Nikisfish

I'm a little confused about this fish. I been researching it and some say it's semi-aggressive and others say it's peaceful. I'm guessing that it just depends on the fish and it's tank mates. Any words of wisdom for me?

zambize

by zambize

It depends on the tank mates and, of course, the individual personality. Generally, they are aggressive with each other -- don't put males together unless you have a really, really large tank and a good back up plan. Even a pair can be too grumpy with each other. When conditions aren't right they will just hide, which is not a good way to live. Other anabantids are often a poor choice, too. Absolutely do not put one with a Betta.

They get along with many fish, and other than the things I've mentioned, they tend to be peaceful but will 1) eat tiny fish, and 2) fight back when necessary. They are even one of the very few fish that will get along with a Red-Tail Black Shark. I don't know about other sharks, I have the RTBS and had a dwarf gourami before he finally succumed to some very bad Ich.

You may want to reconsider getting a dwarf right now though. A high percentage are coming into the US infected with the Iridovirus which kills them either at the lfs or within a month or two at your home. Research the dwarf and especially the Iridovirus.

They have a lot of personality and I wasn't disappointed by my single dwarf at all. Tommy the Gourami was all the dwarf anyone would need!

Zambize

Nikisfish

by Nikisfish

Thanks Zambize! I have decided not to go with the dwarf gourami since I felt a little iffy. They are pretty, but I'm gonna stick to guppies and albino cory cats for now. Maybe when I have more room I can have a tank for every type of fish :)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Hmm...Z. Maybe that explains why I've lost four in a period of 2 months...I'm not a fish killer, at least I thought I'd finally developed the sklils to handle them.. O.o I'm done with trying to keep labyrinthine fish in this 30 gal though. I'm thinking its a bad idea. No more gourami's at least.

They appeared healthy for a short while and then became sluggish and spent most of the day in a corner behind a plant or something. Not really hiding just....not living. They also showed signs of rapidly losing their brilliant color, but no signs of ich.

The 30 gal seems to be leveling out from its episodes of new tank syndrome. I go on vacation next week and after I return I'm getting some Apistogramma Cacutoides or Hongsloi. I'm so freaking excited.

zambize

by zambize

T-83,

What is your pH in this tank? Gourami are fairly hardy if they get past the first 3 months or so...they can live for years after that in a stable tank. Besides the Iridovirus, they are notorious for stubborn bacterial infections, but your situation does sound like the virus. Have you tried other labyrinths in this tank?

Speaking of labyrinths, I'm getting a Paradise fish for my 37 gallon that will be housed with a Red-Tail Black Shark and 5-6 False Julii Corydoras. You're probably familiar with them, but here are some great pics (touched up, of course): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_gourami

They are a hardier Gourami, and larger, around 4". They are also one of the few fish that sometimes cohabitate with Red-Tail Black Sharks. They are often compared to Betta in that they also originate from rice paddy fields and they can even be kept in small containers like Betta with no filtration or heat...which *I* would never do, of course. *shudder*

I love the Cacatuoides. I've been wanting one for quite a while, Poetic introduced me to these beauties, but my pH is always too high. I was thinking German Blue Ram instead, but the pH is an issue with them too. NOW I'm reading up on Kribensis...they may work with my pH. I've got a 20 gallon with 6 Panda Corydoras awaiting one of these fish. Not yet sure if the tank would be too small. Those Cockatoos are tempting though....drats.

Zambize

Dwarf Gourami

5 posts