Treating for Red Slime

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

Treating for Red Slime

by newbie916

I'm treating my tank for a minor case of red slime algae right now. The directions say that I need to add aeration since my protein skimmer will be turned off for 48hrs. Do you think my return will provide enough oxygen or what should I put in their to make sure my animals don't suffocate.

Thx

schigara

by schigara

After changing my halide bulbs last month, I had a cyano slime outbreak and treated with Ultralife Red slime remover which called for 4 days with no skimming.

I saw no difference in the fish's breathing. If you have an overflow and sump, I doubt O2 would be a problem.

Be sure to do about a 25% water change after the treatment. When you start the skimmer back up, you'll need to lower the water level in the skimmer quite a bit as it is going to go crazy for about 4-6 hours after turning it back on.

The treatment sure did work 100% on my tank.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i would not use that stuff. it just hides the problem imo, try to add more water current or a better skimmer to solve the problem. and more frequent water changes with ro water { syphoning out the red }

singapore

by singapore

when i got a new 130w PC light for my old 10gal, a had a huge boom of red slime. i took my lawnmower blenny from another tank and put him in there for a few days. he didnt eat the slimp, but he did pull it off the rocks (i guess to get the green stuff underneath) and spit it out, which allowed it to be sucked up in my filter. the blenny, combined with me only running the light at half its potential output (only actinics), and a 25% water change, got rid of it in a week or so. if ur tank is bigger, i dont know how effective just one lawnmower blenny would be

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys for all of the imput. I will probably do all of the above. I'm thinking about adding a few little maxi-jets to increase the flow at the bottom of the tank. I went ahead and treated the tank to get rid of the current growth and I will do a 25% water change in 48hrs.

At least everything else is coming along with my system, much thanks to the guys on this forum.

Treating for Red Slime

5 posts