Still trying to fishless cycle

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I am trying to create a 20 gallon Q tank without using fish in the cycle. I can't find any plain bottled ammonia anywhere, and I've looked everywhere. I've got a 36 gallon that I believe is cycled. I'm thinking of moving some things from the 36 to the 20 to jump start the cycle. Maybe some substrate, a couple of used filter pads, a few fake plants, maybe a fake rock or two.

Does this make sense? And how much should I move over? Also, how long does an item need to be in a cycled, healthy tank to grow a decent amount of bacteria?

Thanks,
Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I had asked about a quarantine tank a few weeks ago, and it was suggested that nothing be placed in there, for ease of cleaning. However, if you want to get ammonia in there without fish, you could just add food daily in small amounts as if u were feeding, this will introduce ammonia... and when cleaning time comes, it will be very easy as there is no substrate or objects.

prskiller

by prskiller

I used the ammonia from Ace Hardware. Shake the bottle if it doesn't foam up then it is safe to use. I have a whole gallon you can have if you feel like flying to Hawaii and pick it up:)

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Thanks prskiller -- I never could find just plain ammonia, and I live in the 6th largest city in the nation! (ok, I didn't look *everywhere*) However, I cycled my tank in about 2 hours anyway! I moved some gravel, plants, water, and one of the two filters from my existing tank to the 20 gallon tank and voila, instant cycle.

Zambize

Ryule1105

by Ryule1105

A shrimp from a shrimp ring works fine? xD

Roan

by Roan

You want to add some of the filter material from your cycled tank to the new tank's filter. Oftentimes it will instantly cycle as the bacterial colonies are already established. Make sure you add at least one fish, or there will be no ammonia to feed the colonies. Don't forget to test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite readings.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Thanks Roan - My existing tank had two filters for extra filtration so I took one of them as is and put it on the Q tank. Between that and the used substrate and plants it was an instant cycle. I don't like to cycle with fish so I didn't and the water parameters were instantly, and remained, identical to my existing tank. Pretty cool. :) I felt like I knew what I was doing. :)

Z

Roan

by Roan

SMART! That's exactly what I do if I am setting up another tank. Instant cycle!

zambize

by zambize

Experienced forum members taught me this little trick!

Z

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

Instead of using ammonia I wonder if you could pee in it?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2