Need recommendation for a backup tank

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I recently replaced my 28 gallon with a 36 gallon and I planned to use my 28 gallon as my quarantine tank. Came home from work today and one of my dogs had managed to pull the 28 gallon to the floor (10 lb dog) where it cracked into a million pieces. Not happy about this, but that's another story (it was a really nice 3 month old tank). Anyway, 28 gallons may be overkill for a quarantine tank, but it was what I had so I was using it. Now that I have to go out and buy something, what is recommended for my setup? I've heard of people using 10 and 20 gallon tanks, but isn't the water quality hard to maintain, especially if you don't have fish in it all the time?

Thanks,
Zambize

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

Zambize, a 20 gal tank should work just fine for the types of fish that you keep, just keep it bare bones with maybe a plant or two and no substrate. just keep the biological filtration running in it and you should be just fine. hope this helps.
Brandon

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i figured i would post twice here, i am sorry to hear about your tank and i hope the dog is ok i know it's a shame and you can't help but be angry about the situation. lets just hope that the dog learned it's lesson and will try to stay away from the fish tanks from now on.
Brandon

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

And I thought it was just cats that were that into fish. O.o Sorry 'bout your luck. =\ I have no problem maintaing params in a 5g with weekly water changes. That's about 50-60% more frequently then my overstocked 16 gallon, but the filtration is built in, and horrible. Stupid eclipse systems.
I'm half tempted to come up with my own hexagonal DIY hood so I can pick my own damn filter instead of buying a completely new tank. But my skills with DIY are as horrible as the filtration. lol There really doesn't seem to be much of a selection in the 5-10 gallon range for a variety of ''cool'' tanks. Anyway sorry for dabbling.
I guess it'd be better to be safe then sorry and follow PK's advice by getting a 20gal. I doubt you'd ever need to fill it to capacity, but at least you won't be wishing you got -it- instead of that 10 gallon down the road.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

No, the dog has not learned his lesson. He's baaaaad. He did have glass in his foot, but I don't think that will deter him. He doesn't learn lessons, he simply has adventures.

I'm going to look at some 20 gallon tanks today.

Zambize

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

poor doggie. I cant imagine what my dog would do if I let her anywhere near my tank...or anything fragile for that matter. She's strong and could probably take out my entire full setup if she was left alone with it. Any room she stays in has to be entirely dog proof with anything chewable out of reach which is getting harder to do as she is getting bigger. sorry for the off-topic post but im a total dog lover.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

We have a puppy, well i still call her a puppy, she's 9 months old, weighs in at around 50 lbs, black lab/huskie cross, she's gorgeous, a trouble maker, a chewer, a chaser and loves to grumble when she lays down and you rub her belly, right now i have her head in my lap along with my laptop, she watching what i type come up on the screen and tilting her head side to side, lmfao she's a nut, love her to death, although the cats are not too fond of her especially now that she gets most of "dad's" attention...
ok
back to the topic, hope finding a 20 gallon setup is going well and not too expensive either.

Brandon

7 posts