New fish tank advice

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jorivesud

by jorivesud

That was one of my thinking. Not that it's old, but maybe not good (I bought it 3 weeks ago). I bought another ammonia test this am and still nothing.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Some kits stay on the shelves for a long time before they're finally purchased. I wouldn't put all your chips on it but the kit may be outdated, and I don't think its ever advisable to add new fish during cycling or what you may expect to be still cycling.

Ryule1105

by Ryule1105

You're running into the same issue I had with my first planted tank. Cycling is very hard to notice when the plants are greatly masking the process. Your plants are kinda like algae... they suck up all that waste matter in an attempt to get nutrients. Of course, they don't use the ammonia and nitrate, but it ends up in their biomass anyway. Plants are weird lifeforms, they often just pack nasty chemcials in themselves without a care. xD

Thus, all that ammonia and nitrate is still IN the tank, just not in the water as much, so its harder for the tests to pick up. The tank will still be cycling though. Personally, I'd suggest adding a few more fish. Tetras are sooo small that the waste they make is tiny compared to the volume of water.

About "Cycle", I've never used it. I'm personally against using chemicals in my water as much as possible. Keeping the tank as natural as possible is always a good goal.

jorivesud

by jorivesud

Thanks for the answer/confirmation about the plants. After a lot of readung I was thinking this could be what was happening. While testing this afternoon I got something I wasn't sure if it was real or not, could be bad reading since the colors were so thin. It looked as if I had 0.1 of ammonia AND trace of Nitrate(less than 5), is this possible? or just my eyes playing tricks. I will see tomorow if something change/increase.
Also, what about the Nitrite, this should be detectable(plants won't pack nitrite, only ammonia and nitrate), right?

Ryule1105

by Ryule1105

As far as I know, plants will stuff anything thats in the water into their biomass. Its a natural part of how they grow, as far as I know. I could be wrong however. I am certain that they absorb nitrate though.

And, it's possible to have both nitrate and ammonia in the tank. ;) The bacteria in your tank might not be established enough to process the ammonia at a rate fast enough to keep up with you're tank, while still being established enough to produce nitrate. The other thing might be a sudden amount of decaying matter. Are you trimming your plants of their dead leaves? Are you fishing out the floating ones with a net? The decomposing plant matter is just like decomposing fish or food, it adds ammonia too!

jorivesud

by jorivesud

Well, today my ammonia is gone and my Nitrate is darker than yesterday(almost 5).
Coud I have totally missed Ammonia and Nitrite in the cycling process? looks very weird, but if Nitrate keeps going up again for a few days...I will have to say yes.

Ryule1105

by Ryule1105

I'm thinking that your testing equipment is on the fritz. You can't "skip" ammonia and nitrate. They need to exist in the tank for the bacteria to grow. Given, your plants are likely masking this whole process, but still, you should take a LOT of caution before you put the rest of your planned fish in there.

My advice at this point is take it to your closest fish store. They often do free water testing, or do it for practically no charge. They should be using up-to-date kits, and are likely (though not always) more experienced in reading/using the testing kits. If their numbers are matching yours, then you may have just gotten lucky. xD

jorivesud

by jorivesud

I won't put more fish if my Nitrate don't go up. I do suspect that my 1st test kit(master kit) was bad. I haven't seen Ammonia with my 2nd test(ammonia only), but It could have been passed that stage when purchased. I don't have a second test for Nitrite, and my Nitrate test was purchase separtely since it wasn't part of master set. That`s why I'm saying I could have missed ammonia and nitrite. I will have to buy a second nitrite test anyway though.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

its very possible to miss a nitrite or ammo reading if you're cycled properly, because these quickly get converted to nitrate. How often have u been water changing and how much?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

In my experience my tanks cycled immediately because I had plants that already harbored a pretty go amount of bacteria. In some cases the "spikes" either won't happen or happen before you get a chance to detect them.

I like the way your tank's set up Jorivesud. Show us pic when it grows in more.

New fish tank advice

20 posts • Page 2 of 2